Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Zantababy
Pretty hamster,as Bellaluna says be careful or you could have lots of little hamsters.
And, sadly, they can be very hard to find homes for, like gerbils.

Snorri
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Plus, most hamster species are solitary animals, and don't need a mate/friend.
A lot of species will kill each other if you put someone in with them.
They need to be introduced at a very young age, as will not accept others when they are older.
If you do want to keep 2 together, make sure they are the species that *can* live wither another, as different species living together will fight and kill.

Hamsters have an oestrus cycle about every 4 days, so can become pregnant VERY quicky, even after having a litter.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 06:10 PM
That looks like a syrian hamster to me, and definately will not take to a friend. They are solitary and dislike company. In fact, it is likely to kill any friends it has. Beautiful little chap though!

ooo... word of adive, perhaps better to not keep it in shavings - these apart from harming the respiratory tract, have some evidence supporting the fact that they cause liver and kidney damage in all animals try paper cat litter (morrisons, bob martins, biocatolet etc etc) or cut up cardboard bedding... or similar.

Really cute little fella - but as i said, best to leave the whole friend bit.

PM me if you want more info on beddings etc.

xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 06:36 PM
What a little cutie - make sure the "friend" you buy is the opposite sex...... I bought two rats some years ago and was assured they were both male. Ratty and Roland got on rather well, so well that Roland was renamed "Rolandetta", after "putting on some weight" and was taken back to the pet shop and swapped for a proper blokey rat
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 06:41 PM
If you must buy a 'friend' please as everyone has said don't breed them (though I would be worried as unless you know how to sex them, 99.9% of petshops have no idea and you could end up with babies anyway).

However, I really hope you keep her alone, as she will likely either kill or be killed by a 'friend'. I used to breed hamsters years ago, and it's hard work. I bred Syrians like these - I would never go bakc now. Give me my rats anyday.

Ah the irresponsibility of petshops

xx
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Looks like Esmarelda will be living alone then! I was told that they are happier living with company It seems quite content in its little cage though. She is eating a lot and keeps digging up the shavings and rolling in them! But i will look into new bedding for her! Its just what she came with
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 06:46 PM
That's OK! I hope you didn't think i was getting at you at all? i wasn't ! I was simply looking out for the little girl... I think I get so worked up about rodies as they are my passion! *is mad!*

Shereally will be very happy alone, and they are lovely little creatures to watch, although some neverget over biteyness, if you are constant in your handling, then she should be just fine.

best of luck!

xx
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 06:48 PM
sorry, double post - I was re-reading what I'd posted and i seem like a one woman pet army sorry if i offended anyone, i just see a lot of this and most people aren't so willing to take on good advice - so a lot of animals get the raw deal... however, it was wrong of me to 'have a go' and i didn't mean it that way at all! she's a lovely, happy looking little thing, and I am sure Jessica can provide a great home for her!

xx
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 06:51 PM
I didn't take it as you having a go at all, im the same with people who buy pet shop birds with bad advice! But as long as she will be happy on her own then that is how she will stay! Im used to bites so can put up with that. Im going to buy some more toys and stuff for her tomorrow as the cage looks a bit bare! Any suggestions about what she might like/need?? Ooh, and her teeth look kinda long Does she need to go to the vet or just have something to chew??
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 06:55 PM
She shouldn't need to have her teeth trimmed - all rodies do a thing affectionately called 'bruxxing' which is grinding their teeth. We like to provide a 'kabob' for our lot (theres a good one from wilkinsons and another from Pets at Home - though the PAH ones are expensive.) you can buy refill 'bits' to put on the kabob for them. a house is a must for all hammies - and then just things like small log toys, tunnels, ropes to climb on as they love climbing and swinging on the bars, a wheel is usually nice and a hamster ball for 'out time'. There are lots of great sites online to buy things from - if you need any links PM me!

xx
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »