View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2005, 03:43 PM
I've just gone on to the old board to reply to you Gildy and they are closed and read only!
So that's that I guess, although the reply buttons still look active I thought in case my reply didn't get to you there I'd do it here!

I hope that you can find a way to post your photo's, yep pc's can sure stretch the brain, I also wondered about getting a lap top as my pc's upstairs but I think perhaps it's good for me to 'do the steps'.

It started of very dull here then brightened to a lovely sunny day, now it's gone all cloudy and feels cold.

Well I did get some starlings on the front grass today, they eat the ants, oh and two pigeons and 1 blue tit on the feeder......not a lot eh??

ce la vie......
Chris x
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2005, 03:46 PM
PS Ian G has just posted some proposed changes!!!!!
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Hello Mango,

I've just discovered that myself. Not been onto the new boards to mention the old board's closure, the rest will soon find out but I did leave word over at Radio 5 meeting place so word will get out.

I don't know what the financial status of anyone is on the boards but I do sometimes worry that I will not be able to keep my interests going and initially whether its the internet, feeding birds, whatever, the initial costs can be expensive. I really should treat myself whilst its possible then if times get hard I already have things that later on I may not be able to afford.

I tend to make things last(that's just me I guess)and yet(this sounds morbid)if I was to buy the electrical goods and furniture that I should, it will probably last longer than me now I'll certainly look into a laptop.

Fluffy and Raisins make it sound easy. The picture it conjures up, of them and their OH's each sitting in the lounge watching tv or whatever searching the net or hammering away at the keyboard sounds quite appealing. And probably easy to hook both pc's onto the one Broadband connection. Another excuse to sign up.

I'm sure if you give it time, there is every hope that you will get more visitors to your garden. I cannot remember when you started feeding the birds. Could it come down to what is being given to them, they can be fussy

I have initially at least six different mixes but as I mix them often into one and have studied what's in them many are similar so I may be able to drop down to two or three.

I used to buy in a shop where you weigh your own but could only carry so much as its heavy and I'm not sure of the quality, I think it was padded out with things that the birds were not too keen on. In my case adding Taxi fare, it gets expensive. So I make an order on the net and pay one delivery charge of £2.50 no matter what I buy.

I have used the RSPB site but tend to use www.wigglywigglers.co.uk

They haven't let me down yet and have been reliable.

There is alot of choice out there.

Time for evening meal but I'll probably be back later.

Anthony x
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Oh Gildy, you must take care of yourself, and not go without if you possibly can.I shouldn't say this, but your health is more important than the birds. Even if you didn't have a laptop, could you not just go on broadband,that would be good. I have to go up and down stairs to use my computer, but then I know you're not well. At last they're budging on the other boards. Now you take care, Love, Curmy.
Rupert
New Member!
Female 

03-10-2005, 05:24 PM
My Dear Gildy, I am extremely anxious about you. You are an example of goodness, kindness, and and have a wonderful inspiring knowledge of wildlife.
I want to give you a big cuddle, and so does Rosie, Rupe xx
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Rupe...

You know what I think of you too...I believe in fate and why/how people meet.

I said that I'd share with you...as I write that lone Squirrel has been looking around(if its the same one)and totally unconcerned by it and closeby has been the Robin, six Doves, numerous Blackbirds and in the trees plenty of Blue Tits and the smaller birds. Even a few that have been missing are returning.

I must get around to ordering those bushes and shrubs so they get the extra protection from them being both evergreen and offering berries.

I may try and take the advice of a few posters on here and add some climbers of some kind to soften the appearence of the fence further.

You have an idea now of the size of the garden(even if two photo's need reposting)and its ok if left reasonably open but it doesn't take long to make it cluttered. And make it smaller. I mentioned our new neighbours have built a small shed.

Two days later, I've heard banging and knocking and the neighbours on their other side have now also built a shed. There is so much in that garden there cannot be much space left. But hey, its what they want. While I am here, in the house I'll keep my garden as open as possible but I have to admit I'm quite looking forward to seeing all these bushes etc...growing.

I hope that they grow fast because the trees you see are 30+ years and I'm not sure that I have the time to wait and by the time they reach the size I hope they will how many years will have passed?

Others may just come in and rip it all out. Ahh, well...

Lets live for today

Gildy xx
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Dear Gildy,

As I understand that your health is not of the best, forgive me I don't want to pry nor trivilise(sp) your situation :smt058 but I do understand what you mean about expensive out lay and whether to spend that money or save it.....I sometimes think that if we had some idea of when our sell by date is going to be it would certainly make decisions much easier.

I have similar values in as much that I make things last and am not one to get rid of things for sake of getting the next 'new thing' whatever that might be.

Thank you for the tips on the bird food and the link you could well be right about them being fussy and not liking my offerings

Thinking back I think it was like this last year.......the busiest time is from when they start nesting, say from May this year the blackbirds used the medlar tree to bring her fledglings, she would leave them there one by one then take them back to the nest (in another garden) for nesting.
We went on holiday the beginning of August and when we came back they had gone this does seem the pattern for the blackbirds.

As it's still quite mild here there might be still a lot of natural food, as I said the starlings eat the ants on the front grass which has anthills on it!
We even had a green woodpecker on it a couple of years back.

As always I enjoy your posts please look after yourself and take care.

:smt049
Chris x
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-10-2005, 04:14 PM
I think it was Mango who said there will be something to mention across the Winter when I thought just perhaps it may be quiet.

Well, whilst preparing a meal and looking out of the Kitchen window I watched something that was funny but probably many have witnessed in your gardens.

Two Woodpigeons, in the trees that you have seen in my pictures...doing all they could to try and reach the peanut feeders and refusing to give up for ages.

You just know that they are the wrong shape and size to be able to hang on to get anywhere near where the nuts could be reached.

They certainly had determination.

Gildy
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Hi Gildy,
I just finished writing to you and then you popped up!
Thank you for telling us about the Wood pigeons it must have been very amusing!
You just reminded me of where I lived as a child a pigeon woke me up one morning, wandering along the window sill inside my bedroom.
Another time, Mum had thrown out a piece of spam and the pigeon had picked it up and flipped it over and it landed on it's back....it looked so funny like it had a shawl on!

Antony I think that you will always find something interesting to write about whatever the season.......you have a talent!

Chris x
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Hi Gildy Your message about the neighbours' sheds and your new berry bushes is very entertaining. They'll have sheds lined up all along your fence soon.!
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >