Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 06:03 PM

Favourite dog recipies...

I'm sure there have been threads like this before, but please share your favourite dog treats, cookies, cake, recipies.....

I'm planning to do some easy treat baking this weekend!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Preheat slow cooker, add 500g dog meat, cubed, 100g onion, fried....oh wait

Simple ones for me, flapjack and biscuits. Generally either liver (blended, or finely chopped if you're blender-less) or fish (tinned and mashed up like tuna or mackerel, or Fish4Dogs salmon pouches) and then
- porridge oats, stock*, liver/fish, sometimes an egg but not necessary. For the quick version, I chuck into a pyrex bowl and microwave for a minute at a time until cooked. Long version, slow-bake at about 180 degrees for 25-30 mins in a shallow, wide dish
- flour (I use wheat-free, e.g. buckwheat), egg, oil (dash or two of salmon oil or olive oil), fish/liver. Depending on how much I want to make, I'll use one egg, one dash of oil, 1 tin/pouch fish or similar quantity liver, and then just keep adding flour until you get a dough. Roll out and cut with cutters if you want fancy shapes, but I just roll to fit the baking tray, score lines in both directions so it's easy to break into titbits, and bake at about 200 degrees for 10-15 mins. Allow to cool then break into pieces. I often freeze the excess dough, or you can bake more than needed and freeze the baked treats into freezer tubs/bags.

*homemade, salt-free chicken stock made by simmering a chicken wing or neck in a pan of water for 15+ mins. Can replace with any other bone, and add veggies for flavour if wanted. Remember to discard the cooked bone though - or feed it to your pet rodent if they can eat cooked bone, animals like rats will grind it up so it's not a choking hazard
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Great recipies thanks

I need to buy go shopping!
Is buckwheat the only wheat free flour?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 06:32 PM
You can buy rice flour in thr Indian food section of Tesco
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Nope, some of the more common ones would be rice flour, potato flour, gram (chickpea) flour but there's quite a few others too, e.g hemp flour, oat flour, quinoa flour, sorghum (like millet) flour, etc. too
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Wow, lots of options

Thanks!

I'm going to pop to PAH and the shops tomorrow to get some minces, fish, oats, etc and hopefully bake some nice bits.

How do you make liver cake?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 07:25 PM
I've made cake things by using the same recipe as the biscuits but adding less flour, so it's a batter. Maybe an extra egg, and I've added moisture by using grated carrots before.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks good ideas. She likes carrot too! Will let you know how I get along.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Liver cake
equal qty Liver and flour. I usually do about 1lb each
3 eggs
splash milk
splash oil

Liquidise liner fold in flour eggs milk and oil

put in cake or loaf tin and cook in oven or Micro until a knife will come out clean
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Porridge oats, egg, tinned fish. Mix, flattern and microwave for a few mins. Flip over patty and zap again. Cool on cooling rack then chop into squares.

Liver cake, can't remember full recipe off hand but there's loads of recipes on Google. Basically blended liver, egg, splash of oil, enough flour to make a batter.

I had made variation on a theme using banana, apple and honey for sweet ones, or bacon and cheese for savoury. Basically take ingredients, mix with flour and an egg/oil/bit of water for binding. Add more or less depending on if you want dough for biscuits or batter for cake. Bake for 30 mins roughly on medium height. It's not rocket science, very easy to wing it and experiment.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >