Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2007, 09:18 PM

A lead?

Just a reminder before I post, I'm totally new to this and know nothing, so please ignore my stupidness

At the ringcraft class they told us to get a certain type of collar/lead, a slip collar I think it was called? I looked in the local pet shops but couldn't find anything that looked like what the other people had. I looked online and found a few, but the people said it would look nice if we got a grey or a white one, as he is a grey merle and I can't find them anywhere. Any help?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 09:21 PM
You don't have to have a slip lead for your dog! I'm not sure what breed you are showing but I use a slim lead and a half check fine collar.
Becky
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2007, 09:39 PM
A border collie

We have a nylon buckle thing and a lead, just your average lead.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 10:09 PM
I go to dog shows (mainly to spend money, but also to enjoy the atmosphere).
I have found that Luxway have a huge range of show and 'normal' leads in all colours.
I do not know how to do a link, but they have an online shop, just do a search for Luxway dog supplies!
Good Luck and happy spending!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2007, 11:29 PM
I would agree that Luxway do a brilliant range - there was tons at Crufts. After going to Crufts however, I would avoid their leather leads etc as they don't seem the best quality.

Here's their link, although sadly they don't have any pics???
http://www.luxwaycanine.co.uk/default.asp

Below is what I bought for my first show lead, not too dear and good to give you ideas about what you really want:

http://www.showleads.co.uk/lead_details.asp?name=Braid%20Slip%20Lead

Have a look around the above site as it can give a really good idea about what you want or like the look of.

I did find, however, that due to Isla being a Springer (and therefore being constantly at the end of the lead at 100 different directions every second! ) the nylon gave me really bad blisters.

So I decided to get a leather one with a chain to give me more control. There are leather ones on the above site, but they're, IMO, rather expensive. Instead I got mine from a seller on eBay and I have to say it's brilliant. Very well made and quite a bit cheaper.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZflobberdogQQhtZ-1

If you email the seller she'll give you an idea of what can and can't be done, I really can't recommend these leads enough. The quality is superb!

But the main thing is to have a good look around and see what you want first, good luck!
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Thankyou so much! On the Hessonite website, would this lead be ok in the brown colour? All the ones listed as show ones are half-check and to be honest, he doesn't need it as he walks well on a lead so I'd rather just get a normal one.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
Thankyou so much! On the Hessonite website, would this lead be ok in the brown colour? All the ones listed as show ones are half-check and to be honest, he doesn't need it as he walks well on a lead so I'd rather just get a normal one.
Not quite sure what you mean? Do you mean the White Slip in Brown? It's upto you really, personally I think I'd go for white with a Grey Merle. But then what do I know!

They can all be used as Show leads on the Hessonite site, just depends on what you prefer.

Take your pick!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2007, 01:33 AM
I tend to try to get the lead to match the dog so use white on a white neck...but at the end of the day sure its personal preference
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Ok, I'll think we'll get the white then, thanks for the help!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2007, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't show a BC on a slip lead, a correctly fitting half check & matching lead is what I used to show my BC's on. Chokers are a no no for me unless they are used on a "dead link"ie the two end rings clipped into the lead trigger hook.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >