Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2005, 03:50 PM

A Bit Disheartened..

Hey,

Well, we've just got back from our very first Championship show, and i have to say i was pretty disappointed. Not with my dogs though, they both did exactly what they were asked and showed beautifully (not that that helped any of course ) but by the people..

Now, we've had a few comments at shows before as it seems that 'professional' show people aren't too keen on us amateurs having a go at showing. But today i was really quite annoyed. I took Riley in the Lab minor puppy class and during the last line up while the judge walked up the person infront of me, once his dog had been looked at actually turned his dog into Riley, making him step back while the judge was looking. I'd left a LOT of space so people wouldn't do that but the guy took a couple of steps back then turned his dog around him... For no reason! The dog was stood beautifully! Now, of course that wasn't anything to do with Riley not getting placed as the judge probably had made up their mind by then, but it annoyed me anyway as it was so unnecessary!!

But in Megs minor puppy class i got really pi$$ed off!! Again, in the final line up. I'd left a huge space after what had happened in Riley's class, but the person infront stepped back and actually bumped into me! But that was ok i guess... But i was SOOOO annoyed by the person behind us.. She actually looked around and as she saw the judge was coming to look at Meg she took about four steps forward and positioned herself infront of both me and my dog I was really annoyed by that as it was just SO rude!! Meg had been stood really well and then this woman just pushed infront of us.. And the judge took no notice!!

We have decided that, after we've competed in the Champ. shows we're entered in we're not going to do anymore. We're just going to stick to Open Shows. I dont know if its the same with all breeds, but the lab 'proffessionals' seem very rude and have no time for people who are new to showing.. I have to say, i dont entirely agree with the judging either! Some of the dogs that got highly placed were badly behaved, had terrible coats, moved really badly and most were certainly not the types of labradors i'd buy!!! Small, stumpy looking legs and hugely overweight.

So... Thats my experience of showing so far I expected a certain amount of 'clique-iness' as i used to show horses a lot when i was younger, but it seems if you're not one of the 'professional' breeders/handlers you dont stand a chance, and unfortunately im not the only person who found that to be the case

Still.. My dogs are primarily pets and we're not bothered if we dont show them, though hopefully we will breed them. Meg definately will have a litter, and we're hoping to get some puppies from Riley if he continues to do well in Open Shows They seem a bit more laid back, not to mention cheaper

But no more snobby, rude and unpleasant champ shows for us i think!!!

Jess
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2005, 04:00 PM
That’s appalling behaviour, glad no one in my breed would behave like that, can only say they must have seen your pups as a threat so I would keep going and if that happens again leave the line and walk to the end and set your dog up, you are entitled to do that and judges are not daft they will know why you have moved.

Do that once or twice and I bet they will give you a bit more respect
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2005, 04:07 PM
That is bad sport! Dont get disheartened! The people around the ring are seeing you and your dog, even if the judge isnt! My step mother has a boy that is in between classes. He is a bit immature for some classes, but too mature for others, he either gets first or nothing! But even on the 'nothings' people have come up to her and said what a lovely boy etc etc . Dont concentrate on the judge too much, think of the people watching and yourself! Well Done Both of you!!!!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Been thinking and I reckon that if anyone in my breed tried that on everyone would turn on them, there is a story that years ago (must be because it is before my time) there was an exhibitor who would free stand their dog at the end of a very long lead so the dog was in front of the person to one side and she was in front of the person the other. But we do not have that sort of thing now and I would not expect anyone to do that especially to a new exhibitor, all the successful people in my breed could not be more helpful, not only to beginners with moderate dogs but are also helpful to those with dogs who have a real change of making it.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-08-2005, 05:18 PM
keep going its just sour grapes they try the little tactics to faze you and the dogs.
next time just be ready to move if they try it again this is why some people take showing to serious they will do any thing to get a place.
it just shows they take you and yours a threat don't let them win!!!!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the comments

I didn't really know what to do when the person stood infront of me and Meg, but the judge just stood there looking at her dog and made no attempt to look at Meg anyway so i just left it I almost spoke to her outside of the ring and asked her, if she was in the next class, could she please not stand infront of my dog this time as its a bit off-putting

But to be honest, my dogs are pets, always have been and always will be. We only tried the showing as they're well bred dogs and we were told by a lab breeder and judge that they were nice looking pups. But after seeing the bitchiness and comments behind peoples backs i really dont know if its worth all the stress!! Meg already has won a couple of lab classes at open shows which would definately help with selling her pups (not that theres any problem selling well bred choc labs!!) and we'll continue with the open shows.. So i dont think its too much of an issue. I was just interested to see if other breeds had these sort of things going on, im pleased to hear they dont!

Ooh, just thought i'd mention that we were talking to people with pointers, poodles and retrievers and they were all very, very helpful, nice and those that saw what happened to me and Meg said that it was not right.. So not all show people are rude and obnoxious i suppose! Maybe i should buy the husky or Afghan Hound i've always wanted and show that, they'd probably be more friendly
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Jessica everyone has to start somewhere Different judges have a preference for different types in some breeds, today was not your day, you have learnt a little from it ..move on
Don't worry about someone standing in front of your dog..when the judge looked at your dog(s) individually they would have made a mental note if they really liked them a lot and no one standing in front would have made any difference I have had that done to me ...some people can be very rude!!
If you enjoy going to shows and your dogs do too you keep going..each time you will learn a little more ..
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Tell them! I have in the past, if they obsrtruct you, voice your opinion fairly loudly, it gets results and the offenders become quite embarrassed!

Keep on with the showing, you have the best dogs!
Dawn.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Don't let them get at you!! Keep at it and if your dogs are good enough then they will get there.
As for not agreeing with the judging ...well we all have days like that! You shouldn't let that put you off since the best thing to do is go for the day out and then any wins are a bonus.Don't take judges placings personally....its just their opinion.
You will learn how to avoid the bitchiness in and out of the ring.....but don't let them win! Just think if they treat all the 'newbys' like this how many others have given up at the first obstacle.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Archer you did not find anyone like that with you in our breed did you, if so things have change as they were really encouraging when I started.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >