Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 10:26 AM

A Companion Dog Show Judging Experience

I had the lovely pleasure of judging the Novelty classes at Claygate Flower and Village show on Saturday.

I haven’t judged anything at all although I show so have some idea what goes on thankfully. But of course in the Novelty classes it can be quite different.

I will admit I was slightly wary as some dogs are dragged along and really don’t know what to expect do they – so I was concerned there might be some iffy temperaments. But I couldn’t have been more wrong – the dogs all had cracking temperaments and the owners weren’t too bad tempered either

I had an extremely enjoyable afternoon, exhausting and found it quite tough choosing some of the placings so many lovely dogs – everyone though seemed to take it all in good spirits.

I got to learn some many different dogs names and interact with dogs and owners – I felt so privileged to meet so many different dogs.

I was allowed to chose a Best Novelty in Show which went to my dog the judge would like to take home winner a very friendly sweetnatured and adorable labradoodle called Stanley (surprised myself as I really am not a big fan) and Reserve Best Novelty in show to a jack Russell /cocker cross called Bobby (he was my best cross breed winner).

On the subject of labradoodles there were three at the show – one was the size of a great dane at 8months with a very shaggy coat, another the size of a standard poodle with far less coat but shaggy at 9m and a miniature poodle size with no shagginess at all. Very interesting the variations in type. All very sweet natured dogs though.

As I said most people seemed to enjoy and took it all in the spirits that is intended at these shows. Sadly in the pedigree classes there was one disgruntled chap who also shows ? Shame

I did find it amusing the show people that entered the Novelty classes such as handsome dog or prettiest bitch felt the need to stack their dogs hard habit to break maybe!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Sounds like you had a lovely afternoon and I bet you were a cracking judge

as for those stacking in the novelty classes -
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Oh I love judging at those kind of shows, so much variety and, usually, a lovely atmosphere

Sounds like you had a lovely time and I'm sure you made an excellent job of judging xx
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks Fiona and Sheree - they had the most wonderful compere who kept everyone going - a truly lovely show in all

Emily and Jess got to steward and did a fine job - they both really loved it too!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Pleased to hear you had a good time
muppy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2010, 03:10 PM
I used to go to that show when I lived in the area. I always had a good day. I had forgotten about that show and it has brought back some good memories for me especially as I always used to show my wonderful girl Muppet there. It made me get out my rosette books (I know sad but I am glad I did it) by the time I got to the third page I was in tears because I still miss her so much.

Glad you had a good day and here's to your next judging apppointment.