Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 07:53 PM

anti bark collars

Just wondering if any of you have or used these collars to reduce the barking and if you have used them are they affective or is there a down side to them
NatalieS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2005, 08:01 PM
I know a dog trainer here who swears by them, but at the moment we have no need to use on with Rocco, he's not very vocal.

There's a roaring trade in them here in Bermuda and you can always find one that someone is finished with, they always swear that they're a godsend. The only thing that worries me is that people use them to train the dog to be quiet when really there is another underlying reason that the dog is barking (boredom, etc etc) and quiet dog is not necessarily a happy well trained dog??
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 08:25 PM
We tried one on our GSP Murphy as he has a dreadful habit of barking at the gate. It worked well apart from the fact that as soon as we put it on him he came in the house and wouldn't go outside with it on. If you use one you must make the dog wear it for a week without a battery in, then they will not assosciate it with the noise and the citronella spray.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 09:07 PM
They do work but only use them if you have only one dog, if you have more than one you will need to use a radio controlled collar as the others will go off at any loud noise so would react to any dog barking not just the one who is wearing it.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 09:28 PM
we had 2 for our dogs,we had the ultra sonic type,it worked quite well on the pup but not so great on the older dog.beware of slamming doors as they can go off.have you considered one of the units that you can mount on the wall or leave on a table?i think they are about the same price as the ultrasonic collars.i would deffo go for the citronella collar next time.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 10:27 PM
thank you everyone for letting me know what you thought about the anti barking collars only the one barks alot especially at people walking past i think i will try some other method of curbing it but thanks for the info
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 10:29 PM
ohh been wondering about thoose think id prefer to try and train tyson to be less vocal first he can be one noisy little devil when he wants to be
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2005, 12:21 PM
let me know how you get on please cus my boy is a nightmare for barking
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 04:27 PM
I have heard good reports with the citronella collars or just the ones that hiss if the dog barks, there are some not as effective on longer coated dogs, but on shorter coated dogs I believe they work very well.

Mo
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-07-2005, 08:41 PM
i have used the ambistop collar before we homed my grans collie x when she died and laddie never stopped at night cause he was used to sleeping with her,even though he was with our boxers.
yes they do work but the dog trys it on it starts with whining etc to test out what level of noise they can make before it triggers.
all you need to do is make sure it doesn't run out,we still have it but never used it as tob and hol aren't barkers.
you just get refills from the vets at the time it cost about £100 but it is a few years ago.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >