Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pixie1
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2012, 07:00 AM

Need puppy help

hopesome one out there has some advice for me
pixie our 2yr old chihuahuaX had her 1st litter on sunday night sent us all in a panic as not due for another wk,first blonde pup which pixie started to clean then a black pup,had to take over clean up of blonde pup as pixie set to work on black one both seemed ok,no sign of any more pups so 1hr later phoned the vet as from earlier scan were expecting 4 pups,took pixie and pups to vet who examined and scaned pixie but he still couldnt decide if anymore to come as uterus still felt large so gave oxytocin and told to go home and wait and he would phone me in 1 hr also he checked out pups as blonde 1 not feeding was doing all the correct things just couldnt seem to latch on so gave me some welpi,vet phoned me back and as pixie not doing anything went back to vet who scanned x-rayed prodded and poked and said no more pups to come,gave pixie an antibiotic injection.have been feeding the blonde pup every 2hrs with the welpie and is taking it ok was gaining but is now losing weight and she is back at her birth weight of 4oz,she is weeing and pooing fine black pup is double the size now,blonde is trying to latch on now and getting a little of pixies milk(i also expressed a few syringes from pixie to give as well as welpie)so am still topping up every 2 hrs or so,through all this pixie is fine its just she seems to be losing interest in blonde 1 hoping its just from all my handling NOT that she senses anything wrong with the pup.just concerned that i am only prolonging the inevitable with the blonde pup.
Forgot to say that monday morning went to our vet who checked all dogs out and wasnt to concerned and also gave pixie antibiotics and calcium
Am really getting very worried about blonde pup keep googling different Q'S and reading lots of things but dont know what to do for the best,also gave blonde some puppystim as read it was good for failing puppies as full of lots of vitamins and things.Really hope doing right thing.
please anybody any advice
pixie1
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2012, 10:40 AM
just to up date dont know if anybody reading this but took pixie and pups to vets 1st thing this morning vet doesnt hold out much hope for the blonde pup so had 2 choices either put to sleep now or try antibiotic drops............choose the drops pup not in any pain so want to try and do all i can for the wee girl,selfish maybe yeah but got to try have you not?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Was the pup checked for cleft palate? some times if they don't latch on to mum this could be the reason. or sadly it could be fading pup, I've been in exactly the same position as you, pup given the AB injection and synulox drops to continue, but sadly we still lost her.

I really hope things have picked up for your pup.
pixie1
New Member!
Female 

01-02-2012, 01:32 AM
would just like to thank everyone for my birthday messages have had a lovely day
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2012, 05:25 PM
I would think the same as Crazycockers. Did anyone check for cleft palate, I would have thought the vet would have.

How is pup doing now
pixie1
New Member!
Female 

01-02-2012, 06:26 PM
pup is doing fantastic putting loads of weight on,maybe just coincidence but antibiotics seem to have done the trick.there 10 days old so waiting impatiently for eyes to open.this our 1st litter,how old are pup before you start to wean them i know got a few week to go yet but wa just wondering....
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2012, 06:47 PM
As a rough guide I start at about 4 weeks old
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Really glad your puppy is doing well and thriving now
pixie1
New Member!
Female 

02-02-2012, 01:57 PM
what do u start them off on when weaning?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Raw minced beef human grade which has been frozen for at least 48 hrs and thawed.

I take a small bit on a plate and with the back od a spoon rub the meat until it is a bit liquid. I hope this makes sense. I then make little balls about the size of a pea and pop then in each pups mouth one at a time. Boy they love it and when it comes to putting it in a bowl it get scffed down no problems.

I have tried using puppy porridge and soaking kibble with puppy milk which does work but they are not half as enthusiastic as with the meat balls.

They will get kibble later as one of their meals as well as raw meat.