View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Mine are kept in the kitchen. We puppy proofed it after Mya ate various cds, books etc. She did eat the lino though and the wall...
She is 15 months now and recently went through a bad spell again but I've been getting them marrow bones from the butchers, they are huge and my 2 love them, keeps them busy for hours They are also left with stuffed kongs, toys etc. They get a good hours walk before left and a good 30 mins run playing frisbees at lunch time in the field before being left again.
Might be worth getting some marrow bones, they are much cheaper than chews from the pet shops and last much longer
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Just want to say thanks for all the advice and support. If nothing else (apart from a few) I certainly feel confident that what I'm doing is fine and that we're on the right track with it all.
You guys (most of you) rock, literally (especially you inkileeva ;o)
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Who are you to say that because you work full time you are not putting you dogs welfare 1st. Both me and my partner work full time and have 2 dogs. 2yo cocker bitch and a 18 month old collie x springer. They are in a create when im not there for their own safety. Dogs like routein and at 1st woody will not like the fact he is being left for so long on his own but that will be becuse he isnt use to it. Now i know that there are exceptions to the rule there are some dogs who will not be left and will stress too much when they are. How many people these days can have a partner who doesnt work or olny works part time. Not as many as do work full time.
ATD x

I am a person with an opinion same as you and I am entitled to my opinion same as you .
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Enter other springer owner, when Meg was a puppy (and an only one at that) she was left in the Kitchen for a similar length of time, we left kongs, treat balls and various toys oh and Radio 4, FWIW she is now a Happy well adjusted 3 year old ESS who is just in to her first season beating, and because it was the norm with her from day 1 she has never been bothered about being left. She now has 3 other springers to keep her company these days, but in my experience being left in her first 9 months didn't do her any harm at all.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Enter other springer owner, when Meg was a puppy (and an only one at that) she was left in the Kitchen for a similar length of time, we left kongs, treat balls and various toys oh and Radio 4, FWIW she is now a Happy well adjusted 3 year old ESS who is just in to her first season beating, and because it was the norm with her from day 1 she has never been bothered about being left. She now has 3 other springers to keep her company these days, but in my experience being left in her first 9 months didn't do her any harm at all.
Really good to hear that Lizzie, thanks for sharing ;o)
We left him on his own, gradually from 8 weeks so he's used to it and absolutely fine, he just sits by his crate door waiting for us to let him out, then when we do he's straight to the back door, long wee, inside, THEN he gets cuddles and attention. He's fine!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Enter 3rd Springer owner?!

I think all the suggestions (well, most of them!) have been very helpful. I'm sure Woody will be so shattered from all the love and attention you give him when you are home, that he'll just sleep when you're not!

Good luck with the new job too.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Well, first day at work and he was AMAZING! I'm not getting too excited as this may be just a fluke, but -

This morning he had a long walk and was pooped before I'd even got out of the shower. I popped him in his crate with some chew toys and water.

I got back at about 12.25 and let him out for a big wee. He seemed fine, not frantic, but definitely pleased to see me! I made myself some lunch and took him out to the meadow to throw a ball with him for 30 minutes while I ate it. He had a whale of a time and came back panting and clearly happy. I took his bed out of his crate and put him in the puppy proofed kitchen (oven off - check, washing machine off - check ;o) with the childgate to keep him in there and two stuffed and frozen kongs for lunch.

I came back at 5.15 and peeked thorugh the window. The little chap was fast asleep in his new bed, with two empty kongs and a wubba AND no pees or poos on the floor.

We've been playing ever since and he's now gone out for a walk with his Daddy while I make the dinner! Job done!

Let's hope it stays like this ;o)

(Special thanks to Cheeky Chi for her suggestion about crate in the am and kitchen in the pm, I'm convinced the change of scene has helped to settle him xx)
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 08:52 PM
(Special thanks to Cheeky Chi for her suggestion about crate in the am and kitchen in the pm, I'm convinced the change of scene has helped to settle him xx)
Awwww, you are soooooo welcome! I am just so pleased that everything worked out for the little boy

I kind of knew he would be okay. You had everything so well worked out - it HAD to work!

I am sure he will have the odd off-day, where he might chew a little something that he shouldn't or a little tinkle on the floor but he's still a little lad and he's proven himself today to be one very good boy - bless

Hope you enjoyed your first day at the new job. How did it go
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Excellent news!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Thanks!

It was OK. Its not the job I'm looking for, but it's fine for now. With us both being made redundant just before and then just after the wedding and four months of no solid income we've had to take what we can get. The main thing is lil' guy is OK on his own for abit. Bless him.

xx
Page 11 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >