Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wilmasmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2008, 02:33 PM

Ratty Hygiene

Hi,
wonder if any rat owners could give me some advice,we have 3 rats in a good sized 3 storey cage,for litter we use BIO-CATOLET,when the cage is cleaned out everything is washed and disinfected,but the next day it smells really strong ,having to clean out every day is getting to be a bit expensive as the litters not cheap.
Does anyone have any tips for keeping them smelling sweet
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Is that cat litter ?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 02:50 PM
My boys tend to mark all over....

Litter trays are cleaned daily (I used shredded carboard) and hammocks are changed every 2-3 days.
Just on going I'm afraid...

Although if others have ideas I would gratefully hear them!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I was just going to say if it is cat litter you use then Tesco savers cat litter is really cheap and very good , I use it for my cats .
I had male rats and they were smelly , they also peed everywhere even their beds . Cleaning them out was daily
I once looked after someones female rats when they were on holiday and they were a lot less smelly
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 03:16 PM
When we kept rats, only the bottom of their 3 storey cage had litter in it. The shelves were covered with vinyl tiles and were simply wiped clean every day when I changed food etc.

As Tassle says, hammocks etc need to be changed frequently. I always had a large stash, and would just rotate them.

You could try and train them to toilet in a certain area, and just put a litter tray there, so the whole cage didn't smell?
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I don't remember what litter I used with my rats, but I use Carefresh with my house-rabbits. It's a really good litter, and I used to use it with my hamster as well. I like it changed every other day, but if I've been unwell, it can go for three or four days without any smell. It's about £2.50 a bag, and I use a third of a bag in a cat litter tray, lined with newspaper, and that happily does my two big bunnies.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2008, 01:46 AM
I use small lucerne pellets - NattyCat... I did try another one which was paper based, and it smelled the same day I changed it.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Every time I see this post Ihave a picture of a row of miniature sinks with rats washing their paws and whiskers
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Every time I see this post Ihave a picture of a row of miniature sinks with rats washing their paws and whiskers

Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2008, 04:55 PM
My ratties say - who needs mini sinks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >