Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Beanz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2009, 03:03 AM

Pedipaws (nail trimmer)

Has anyone seen the TV advert for the nail trimmer/file called Pedipaws? Well I got one yesterday and tried it out today. Was a bit taken aback to find that the file head is like emery board or sandpaper on a round wheel which spins [works by batteries] it does however work, ie trim the nails. I think our dogs will need a lot more reward training for it. Its not that its particularly noisy but having did it on myself first [lol ] you are aware of a vibration, plus with several dogs I think I might probably go through a lot of the file heads. There is no UK address, just US one. As JML are marketing it hopefully they will be able to supply the file heads - hope so anyway!!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 09:41 AM
I use a dremmel same principle only stronger and sturdier, you can buy heads from any DIY store, but you must remember to not keep the head on the nail as it gets too hot, so I tap tap tap the head onto the nail til is down to a suitable level, it does vibrate, and is noisier than the one you have but my dogs love it I use it from being puppies.

Mo
Beanz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Yes i have heard of the dremmel but
never saw one. The tapping is a good idea, i will try that. I really got it for our eldest girl who is a bit inactive due to several medical conditions & age & therefore her nails need clipping regularly. Do that ourselves as she gets wound up at the vets. Would do it over couple days. Hoping when she gets used to the pedipaws it would be easier for her.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:41 AM
I was looking at that Pedipaws file. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else thinks it's good before I buy one.
Beanz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2009, 11:18 AM
I think its a good idea & once used to it would be less traumatic than clippers. Ive clipped a lot of dogs nails over the years & think part of the fear is the noise when the nail is being clipped. In recent years ive worked on relaxing the dog first by massage. However some just like the clippers. I know one lady with a Yorkie who screams if he so much as sees the clippers. He has to be sedated before nail clipping/groomed by the groomer or vet trying to clip them. Hes a rescue so you dont know whats happened to him in the past. I dont know how much the dremmel is but it might be worth comparing prices. I would recommend Pedipaws. I will do a bit every day with chicken rewards!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2009, 12:13 PM
I use a dremmel on Syd he hated having his nails clipped but lays there quite happily for his pedicure.
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2009, 04:37 PM
my dalmatian puppy has had his nails cut twice in four weeks, and they are so sharp. The vet did them the first time, and i dont think he took enough off and he didn't touch the back feet. I did them myself with nail clippers and got quite a bit off, making sure i never went beyond the quick. His nails still seem very long though, yesterday he caught my partner on the nose with them, he cut my leg through jumping up on me - should this be happening? should they be this sharp. My partner said about the pedi paws, not sure about it or how well it works - commenets appreciated, and he mentioned his grinder. Also any comments on dew claws - should they be removed - im thinking about it.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 07:07 AM
I've just had one bought for me but not had a chance to use it on Leon yet, I shall try to use it today and let you know what I think.

I'm very lucky that he lets me do anything with him, cleaning teeth, ears etc., and he loves having his ears tidied up with the clippers when grooming so I'm thinking he will quite enjoy this too
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by annspot80 View Post
my dalmatian puppy has had his nails cut twice in four weeks, and they are so sharp. The vet did them the first time, and i dont think he took enough off and he didn't touch the back feet. I did them myself with nail clippers and got quite a bit off, making sure i never went beyond the quick. His nails still seem very long though, yesterday he caught my partner on the nose with them, he cut my leg through jumping up on me - should this be happening? should they be this sharp. My partner said about the pedi paws, not sure about it or how well it works - commenets appreciated, and he mentioned his grinder. Also any comments on dew claws - should they be removed - im thinking about it.
Nails may still be sharp after being trimmed, so grinding them is probably a better option for you. Puppy nails seem to grow super fast too. As for the dewclaws, you have them removed when the pup is a few days old or else it's done under GA. I don't see the point unless they are getting caught and causing injury to the dog. It's an unnecessary procedure. I doubt most vets would do it for no reason.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Dremmel here too, have tried the Pedipaws and in comparison, well really there isn't any, Pedipaws is ok just for sanding down sharp edges, but with Dremmel you can sand the nail right down in minutes.

So Pedipaws gets a 'thumbs down' from me I'm afraid