Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 02:15 PM

Best food for weight gain?

3 days ago I rescued a beautiful greyhound called Holly. She was a racing hound and only 4 years old but she is thin and her teeth are disgusting. I'm afraid she will have to have some pulled She's going next week to have them sorted at the vets.
I was wondering what's the best food to put weight on her?
I feed my other 4 on Iams but they weren't in as bad condition as poor Holly.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 02:17 PM
I put Jess's weight on with pasta and tripe. Sounds horrible, but it worked.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 02:19 PM
tripe is quite good for putting on a bit of weight if there tummys can take it,
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 03:10 PM
With regards to teeth it is amazing what a difference a good diet can do. Blues teeth have improved dramatically since I got him nearly a year ago and i have brushed them (occasionally ) but given him bones and a good diet.

It is pretty stressful imo to get a rescues teeth done straight away especially if we are talking removing teeth. So i would advise you to only get them done soon if you think they are causing pain.

I am sure she will put on weight once she settles into her new home and starts to relax and realise she is not going anywhere!

Well done you for giving her a home and a new start x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I found that feeding lamb flaps or breast at a separate meal put weight on my skinny GSD. And a bit of chewing keeps the teeth nice.
Jacksondad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I have found Arkwrights food to be good for putting weight on ,(Its a dry food ) I had to change Jackson diet about a year or so ago ,
He had a bout of illness and he dropped a lot of weight and my vet suggested the food , I put the old boy on it and he loved it , It was great on his digestive system , No tummy upsets or runny bum , He gained the weight gradually , and has maintained a good weight since And has been on top form ,
I hope you get your little one back on top form soon.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-12-2009, 04:17 PM
If the other dogs are doing fine on Iams, I would feed it to Holly too. I know people that have found they had to cut back a little when they switched to Iams. When Peggy came to us at 7 months and her ribs showing, I fed her the same adult Pro Plan as our other puppy was eating. She was a very high energy dog, and it took 7 cups, about twice what Daisy maintained good body condition on.

As long as Holly will eat enough Iams to start gaining weight, it should be the best for her. You can count on her getting a good balanced diet that won't create problems. Who knows the long term results of throwing this or that into her diet?

I am sure the vet will agree she doesn't need anything more than plenty of dog food. I think Greyhounds are among the breeds that commonly keep themselves leaner than average. As long as the vet doesn't feel it is a problem, leave well enough alone if she never goes beyond being on the lean side.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2009, 08:00 PM
My lurcher Indi was lean (he was 3/4 greyhound), but I found green uncooked tripe and lamb helped. The other thing to remember is to feed smaller amounts little and very often, as greyhound types tend not to be able to eat much. Royal canin do a complete for weight gain I think. Raw bones might help with teeth cleaning
Good luck and I wish you lots of happy years with her, they make wonderful pets
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks so much for all your great advice . Much appreciated. I will try your ideas xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi Zoe how many meals are you feeding, feeding three meals instead of two will help to put weight on.
In addition to the other suggestions, sardines in oil (with the oil tipped away) are good, and porridge made with good quality oats and a little honey (honey is bad for the teeth so only add this for a few days).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >