View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-07-2008, 09:56 AM

Arthritis, Green lipped mussell tablets.

I was just wondering if anyone else has used these to treat arthritis?

They worked complete wonders for Jake and as they are availible from Boots were easy to stock up on! I'm a newbie here obviosuly so you probably already know about them but i just thought i'd share in case anyone hadn't tried them and had problems with an arthritic dog
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for that. I use a form of glucosamine for my boy but might try green lipped muscle. They used to do mother a lot of good but as I'm allergic to shellfish I hadn't thought about themwhen treating the dog.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2008, 12:25 PM
I eat loads of these,(mussels) and I had heard that they are good for arthritis - so must apply to our canines too
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-07-2008, 11:07 PM
tbh, i'd rather feed them the real 100% meal deal, not some mushed up stuff in a tablet.

In fact, any left overs, bit of white wine, garlic, cream..yum yum yum
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Sam our first BC had arthritis and was given green lipped mussels.

They must have done him good. My mother then wondered if she could get some!!
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-07-2008, 09:41 PM
just to be specific, are these the tasmanian, new zealand or irish green lipped mussels that we should be using?
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-07-2008, 10:37 PM
I used Seatone, which are New Zealand ones and available from Boots. Jake went from being totally unable to sit down with his back legs to having good mobility within about a month. He had to have injections about a year and a half later but it kept him off meds for a year and a half which is good going and better on the wallet, i hear they work even better with young dogs where it might not be as chronic.
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-07-2008, 09:01 PM
but is it safe to use the medicine intended for people on dogs? How do you know how much to give them?
Mine is on coseqiun (dog product) but those are cheaper, tho I don't know how much I would have to give him
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Seriously folks - my mother saw the change in Sam and asked either her doctor or the pharmacist if there was an equivalent for humans.

She got something - but don't know how effective it was.
kingbenny
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by paw-paw View Post
but is it safe to use the medicine intended for people on dogs? How do you know how much to give them?
Thats a good point and i wouldn't have used them unless someone who knew more than me suggested it. I was recommended these by my old boss, she works for the rspca and had some rescue foxhounds who had arthritis from a young age. I just gave Jake one a day like she advised but if i had a small dog I might have dropped that down to half a tablet.

They really did work wonders from Jake though, when i first got him he couldn't sit down at all as his back legs just didn't have it in them, 2 months later he was fine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >