View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Dog biscuits are good for hammies, they like to crunch on them, and can devour one quite quickly!

We used to breed hamster quite a few years ago....not sure what people say now, but we used to feed them small bits of lean meat, such as chicken and mince - about once a week.

I know my Sister used to rescue rats, and her rats loved nothing more then gnawing on chicken bones.

Would like to add...please please don't use the bedding that is similar to cotton wool (you know which I mean?)
So many little rodents loose limbs and even die from getting entangled in it, and not being able to get out
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Yes hevvur - agree 100% on all your points we feed our fish and chicken etc. I think hamsters are not meat eaters though, whereas rats are... I'm not sure however. so don't hold me to that. I know one must NEVER feed a chinchilla animal flesh or byproducts etc.

Anyway - yes, rats do love chicken bones! which reminds me, couscous and chicken for our lot tonight!

xx
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz
That's OK! I hope you didn't think i was getting at you at all? i wasn't ! I was simply looking out for the little girl... I think I get so worked up about rodies as they are my passion! *is mad!*

Shereally will be very happy alone, and they are lovely little creatures to watch, although some neverget over biteyness, if you are constant in your handling, then she should be just fine.

best of luck!

xx

Yep, I'll vouch for that, we've had 4 hamsters since having children and they've all been nasty!! The last one lived for 4 years too.....Harry the Hamster, although we tried all ways to befriend him, he really was a nasty piece of work we tried handling him often, but he never got over his biting, once he bit right through the skin on my husbands hand between the thumb and forefinger......and boy did that hurt....well in men's terms anyway

My sister had one that escaped his cage one night, by morning he had ate a HUGE hole in her carpet on the landing.....lol... luckily her insurance covered her for pet damage!

Hope your little girl is friendlier than ours were
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 07:25 PM
we used to have a chinese dwarf hamster that chewed through the plastic on the cage (we didn't notice for a week but i was about 6!) it was really smart little devil and stopped in the cage during the day and came out at night to move food to the cupboard under the stairs - the pile of food by the hoover was huge!

Hazel xxx

We also used to have a rabbit that simply could not be contained - she used to dissappear for ages and then turn up again, give birth, raise the babies - leave them with us and off she'd go again! Even after we didn't have any more rabbits we kept a "secure" hutch for her to come and give birth in... she wasnt running about the streets or anything we had a field and woodland out our back and she loved it!

P.S - sorry just went off on a lil ramble there! we have two rats now called Arnold and Jeremy
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica
A Hamster!!

I spent about £50 in a shop today on stuff for my marine tank and they said that cos i spent so much i could have a hamster and cage for £18 which sounded good

Anyway, here's Esmarelda

Im going to buy her a friend tomorrow

Awww she's lovely Jessica but please whatever you do - DON'T BUY HER A FRIEND - unless you put the friend in the other cage. Syrian hamsters can't live together after maturity and fight to their death. They are one species that don't need friends at all they are happy on their own as long as you give them a wheel to run round in and a large exciting cage with tubes. I have had numerous Syrian hamsters - all in separate cages though. My favourite one was a brown one called Twinkle - she was lovely and never bit - we could do anything with her. She died about 3 years ago. I have three hamsters now - A russian female, A russian male and a Roboroskvi hamster - they are all species of dwarf hamster.

My sister had two chinese hamsters and they are meant to be able to live together. A few months ago she came down to find one of them eating the other one She was nearly sick - it was a terrible sight so please don't ever put any hamster with another one

This is my Russian male when he was a baby - he's a lovely silvery black colour at the moment.

This is my Roboroskvi hamster

This is a Chinese hamster that I used to have.

This is one of our guinea pigs that had babies a couple of years ago and she sadly died when the babies where only about 4 days old

JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2005, 10:30 PM
awwwwwwww what a cutie :smt007
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Awww, your hamsters are so cute Foxy!! I've never seen ones like that in the shops Me and my little Esmarelda are getting on a bit better now though. She's taking food from my hand and has been out of her cage a few times without biting me, she just sits on my hand staring at me!!

Here's a few better pics of her though, she's getting braver now

My mum put this in her cage, i think its a little bowl or something She loves it anyway, she's asleep in it now!

Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 12:34 AM
awww she is absolutely adorable!

best of luck with her!

xx
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 02:32 AM
very cute pictures
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:15 AM

She looks so cute in this pic, but not sure if I would want one
Good luck with her. I hope you get her tame so you wont be bitten by her. Not much fun in that eh
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >