Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-04-2005, 10:59 AM

Eating Grass?

Is it normal 4a pup 2eat grass? on some days my dog acts like a goat he is fed mostly on a raw deit which is manily raw chickena and lamb ribs but once a week i give him canned food.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Quite normal. If you do a search there are at least two threads on DW dealing with eating grass
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 03:14 PM
This is normal behaviour for dogs, all dogs do it, if you have a dog book they somtimes have something on it!
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2005, 10:09 AM
my last bc used to eat grass but only certain blades of it and when she had eaten it she would be sick i asked my vet why she did this and he said if a dog or cat is not feeling to good and has bile in the stomach they will eat grasss its like a sort of medicine to them
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Any ideas as to why they eat grass??? Some people i've spoken to claim its because they want to make themselves sick,while others say it helps them digest.

Abe dont nibble it,but goes at it like a cow-taking mouthfuls.But because he dont have multiple stomachs to break it down-it hangs out his bum after doing a poo!
Carole
Supervisor

30-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Star eats grass when she has a sore tummy. Usually its the first sign I get before she gets the runs. It never makes Star sick though
Meg
Supervisor

30-04-2005, 05:05 PM
The vet Mr Burns who makes the the dogfood says ...
'Grass eating is an intuitive action by the dog which wants to vomit as a means of discharging toxins from the system'.
I was told years ago by a pro. handler that a dog will also use the long stems of grass to tickle the throat and to induce vomiting rather like humans do with their fingers. I think as long as the grass has not been sprayed with any chemicals it must be good for dogs and it contains many nutrients.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Teagan eats it, and poo's it out.
But her poo's are all stuck together with grass strands, and she runs about like a loon with grass hanging out of her bottom!
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
Teagan eats it, and poo's it out.
But her poo's are all stuck together with grass strands, and she runs about like a loon with grass hanging out of her bottom!
What a picture!

Blackie eats loads of it, he's like a goat, I think the reason they eat grass is to get the moisture instead of drinking. But I may be wrong.

Ian
tjhoe68
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2005, 02:17 PM
I was told also that it is a medicine for upset tummies! Barney eats it to make him sick!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >