Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paddy Murphy
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2014, 02:23 PM

Biting puppy

Hi all,
Need some advice, my 13 week old Parson Russell is biting a lot, and is really hurting me, usually if he is hungry or overtired, but trying to get him to take his nap, results in my getting bitten a lot, and his needle like teeth are killing me. I make sure to replace his biting with toys and chews, but this is not always successful. His biting seems to be his way of making sure he has my attention 100 % of the time. Any advice please, as worried he will hurt a visitor, need to stop this behaviour.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Am a bit confused by you 'trying to get him to take his nap' and left wondering just how you go about trying to do this?

Perhaps he doesn't want a nap? I've never tried to get dogs to take naps. When they are tired out they zonk out.

I don't stupidly get them over excited if I want them to be calm but I don't insist on them 'taking naps'.

I don't take naps!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Paddy,
Completely normal puppy behaviour.I know it hurts...even after 10 years I remember
There is loads of advice on the subject,if you go to search at the top of page,type in puppy biting,it will take you to it
Paddy Murphy
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Thank you for the suggestion
Paddy Murphy
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Point taken
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Time-outs and distraction worked wonders with my terrier girl as a pup. She'd also enter this crazed kind of state where she'd latch onto any body part or clothing she could grab and use her little needle like teeth to chomp on you. All perfectly normal, as Lacey said. If you're not doing so already, stop all play/interactions with him immediately when he starts nipping. Stand up, walk away, say nothing, and leave the room, closing the door behind you for a few minutes. Usually on re-entering the puppy is curious as to where you've been/what it's missed out on and the nipping is forgotten about. I'd usually then leave pup alone for a bit and not encourage boisterous/over active play and reward it's calm behaviour with a small training session to work the pup's excess energy out Distracting with toys you can also be helpful. You do have to be consistent though. Pup won't understand straight off the bat.
Paddy Murphy
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Really good advice, thanks
Clarey83
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-02-2014, 02:29 PM
As well as advice given above, when pup bites make a squeal. They learn from their litter mates that a squeal means that hurts, you're being too rough.

Pups will bite for a long time, they don't have hands, it's one of their ways of exploring the world. Like a baby pulling your hair or grabbing your earrings etc

Lots of luck x
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Clarey83 View Post
As well as advice given above, when pup bites make a squeal. They learn from their litter mates that a squeal means that hurts, you're being too rough.

Pups will bite for a long time, they don't have hands, it's one of their ways of exploring the world. Like a baby pulling your hair or grabbing your earrings etc

Lots of luck x
Sorry to disagree but that doesn't work with some puppies - it just winds them up even more! I also don't agree that they will bite for a long time - if you train them properly they soon learn that biting flesh is not allowed!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-02-2014, 04:22 PM
I think it varies massively from pup to pup. I used to have a Parson Russell who as a tiddler was a swine for biting and lunging, he once ripped a blinkin great chunk out of my trouser and leg as I dashed up the stairs. We were both quick learners, I learnt not to surprise him and he very soon learnt not to bite me. I just found telling "oi" each and every time and replacing my hands with something more suitable worked fine. I've just taken on a Pug at 7 months with very little training and his answer to everything was to nip, I was covered in bruises but he learnt within the week it was unacceptable by using the same tactics. When being nipped "Oi" is my automatic reaction and shoving something else in his gob diverts his attention. I find yelping only works with very young pups and I have never left the room or ignored a pups actions so would have no clue whether that would work or not. I just find it easier to point out the error of their ways (repeatedly if necessary) and they learn very quickly.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >