Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lady Kiera
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2005, 09:50 AM

Lead is not an option for Kira

Hi
I have had Kiera for 2 weeks now and she is doing really well exept when I try to walk her on a lead ..... that's when the bumb goes down and the legs just refuse to move. I have tried tempting her with food etc . Any ideas pleas on how to get her to walk with me on a lead .
This is my first puppy so am open to any and all help.
I want my puppy to be happy
Thanks in advance
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2005, 09:53 AM
How old is she?

Have you tried leaving her lead on her in the house? You must supervise her if you do this so she doesn't tangle herself up, but it's a great way to get them used to it.

Are you trying to walk her outside with the lead? Try walking her around the garden - or get a long line and put that on her and try playing with her so she starts associating the lead with good stuff

Becs
Lady Kiera
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2005, 09:58 AM
HI Bec's
I have tried walking her in and out the house .... even tried letting her pull it around with her . ( watching her when I do this) but every time I pick it up down goes the bumb
Jacqui
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Answers - food bowl training

Have a look at this thread: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/showthread.php?t=8424
Lady Kiera
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks next meal I will try leading her to it. She dose not chew the lead YET although she has had a go at most other things ha ha ha
Jacqui
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Ok, first, what do you do when she puts her bum down? What's the eventual outcome?

I'm assuming you have a garden, so try this (apologies if you haven't). Get a tracking lead or a lungeing rope for horses - both are basically long lines. On a warm pleasent day, take her into the garden without the lead on, clip the lead to her collar and let her run around for a bit, do a bit of play. Pick up the lead and sit down and read a book. She may sulk for a couple of minutes, but she'll soon get tired of that and go off exploring. The long line will mean you can still hold one end but she can roam around.

Keeping hold of the long line, get up and wander about - go inspect the flowers, or whatever. If she even notices, again she might plonk her bum down but when she realises you're not asking anything of her, she'll get bored again. If you make interested noises in whatever you're looking at you may well find she'll wander over to you to find out what's so interesting - give her lots of praise for this, then calmly get up and wander off somewhere else and repeat the process. Puppies are especially interested in things if you crouch down at the same time. It doesn't matter what you look at or pretend to be interested in. Keep doing this and you'll probably find she'll happily trot along on the lead behind you. Then you can move on to walking in and out of the house (back garden).

The key is not to coax her or try to get her to come over to you - pretend she's not even on the end of the lead and just get on with other things.

She may be nervous of being out the front of the house, or she may just be being stubborn, but whatever the reason, my guess is no matter how much you stand there trying to coax her, you eventually give up and go back in the house - so whatever her reasons, she's achieved her objective.

If the back garden and house are successful, try taking her out the front on a lead just to collect the milk or put the bin bags out - as with the back garden, just hold one end of the lead and ignore her - eventually she'll start following you.

Hope this helps.

Becs
Lady Kiera
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2005, 10:23 AM
well at the momrent shes on a lead in the house ( as its raining ) ....... shes sitting at my feet. And seems quite content. so it looks as if when shes ready to move then I do to hahahah
Jacqui
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Lady Kiera
so it looks as if when shes ready to move then I do to hahahah Jacqui
Actually the point is that she moves when you are ready to move
"pretend she's not even on the end of the lead and just get on with other things" (quote from Becs post).

Do not drag her on the lead as this may make her lead-shy, but do not let her dictate what you do and where you go. Follow the advice of pretending to have found something interesting and/or leading her to her food. She will very soon get used to lead walking.