Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NatalieS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2005, 08:51 PM

Not behaving like a puppy?

We're worried about our new puppy. We live in Bermuda and my dad picked up our 12 week old boxer puppy for us today from the breeder. He's flying out here with him on Thursday (via Canada so he can be in the cabin with him and not the cargo hold!).

Although he seems physically healthy but he's concerned that he's a bit lifeless. When he put food and water down for him for the first time he stayed in his bed until my dad went out of the room, after my dad left the room he started to eat and drink but as soon as he came back in, he stopped and got back into his bed. We've had quite a few puppies before and even on their first day we've never had this before.

He's not interested in anything and cowers when my dad goes to stroke him. He also stiffens up when he's picked up.

I'm now having my doubts about the breeder. I contacted them on a reccomendation and was told that they raised the dogs in the house with their children and other pets. This sounded perfect for us. When my Dad got there today he found that the dogs live outside away from the main house. Could it be that he's just not used to people?

Please help, I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is?
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Aww, poor pup, I can't offer anything useful I'm afraid, only my sympathy. I would be tempted to love it to bits, but I'm sure that's natural. I am sure someone will come along soon to help
NatalieS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2005, 09:21 PM
That was my first instinct too! I'm lucky that I have the next four weeks when I'm not working to spend with him, so we can really work together. Then when I do start my new job I'll be able to take him with me most of the time but on the same hand, I don't want to spoil him.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 09:48 PM
until you actually get him into household etc it will be difficult to judge - the puppy has a bit of adjustment too - he doesnt know your father so will still be adjusting to that - it does sound as if hasnt had much human interaction - but sure once you have him for a few days in your house and he sees how you treat him then that will change

good luck and lots of piccies please !!
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Sounds to me like it's either an extremely nervous dog through poor breeding, or simply hasn't been raised around humans and is resorting to a sort of "when in doubt, play as dead as possible" routine. If I were you I'd take it extremely slowly with the pup, almost as if you're taming a wild animal. Try keeping it in one quiet but large room and just sit in the room with it, read a book or something and keep losts of tasty things with you to reward it if it does come over.

Also, get it checked out by a vet, just to be on the safe side.

PM me if you want to

Becs
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2005, 10:25 PM
It sounds as though maybe he has not had the best start in life. He will also be very confused at leaving everything he knows and going to a strange place with a strange person. He is also likely to be a bit 'shell-shocked' by the travelling.

When you get him home do not go overboard with the fussing, petting, and spoiling, although it will be very tempting to do so. Give him a few days to settle down. Make sure that he has somewhere that he can retreat to (basket or crate) if things start to overwhelm him. His 'safe place' should be in a quiet area but not isolated. A corner where he can feel secure but still see what is going on in the household would be ideal.

Try not to bend over him to stroke him - get down to his level. If he does something wrong, e.g. accidents in the house, inappropriate chewing, do not use a harsh voice to tell him off. Ignore or distract him from the behaviour.

Do you have children or other animals in the house? If so be careful that they do not stress him. If he has had unpleasant experiences during the fear imprint period (8-12 weeks) then you might find it difficult to overcome these.

It sounds as though you will have a lot of confidence-building to do. Take it slowly, be calm and gentle with him, do not force him to confront any fears he may have, but don't over-indulge him out of sympathy. It is excellent that you will be able to spend a lot of time with him. This will help immeasurably in the bonding process and should help to slowly bring him out of himself.

I hope it works out well for him and for you.
Please keep us informed of how thing go, and don't hesitate to post here if you have any problems.

Good wishes
SB
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 10:34 PM
As SB says, don't over-indulge him, but I'd also add don't be tempted to make a fuss if he does seem scared or nervous - whatever you do, don't rush over to him, cooing at him and saying things like "there, there, it's ok" etc etc. Many people believe they're just reassuring the puppy everything's ok, but they're actually reinforcing, in the puppy's mind, that there was something to be scared of and that his fears were justified.

As you bond your puppy will look to you for guidance - if you make a fuss, he'll make a fuss - set fears at this time can be very hard to shift later. If you're calm, no-nonsense and happy, he will become more confident.

Becs
NatalieS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Really grateful for all of this, feel more reasured now. I've just been talking to my Dad again, apparently he's come to life a little bit and he's having a fight with the blanket in his bed, but still doesn't like handling or being touched and shakes all the time. Hopefully he's going to come around with some time.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Ask you Dad not to handle the pup, and not to talk to him in a 'man' voice. He should try to speak to the puppy in a high 'girly' voice (bet your Dad will just love that ) Dad should just relax, talk to the pup in a happy tone and allow the little one to initiate contact with him. If the pup responds your Dad should just just quietly say 'good boy' in an approving tone and stroke him on his chest or shoulders, not touch his head or loom over him. The pup should not be consoled or fussed when he is showing any sort of apprehension as this will just reinforce that he is right to be afraid of whatever situation he may find himself in.

The pup seems to be very insecure so I would advise that, when you have him home, you should contact a good trainer who will understand not only your dog's fears, but the special needs of a shy Boxer. Also, when he has settled with you a while, take him to the vet for a health check. Make all interactions with this pup as rewarding for him and as much fun as possible.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.
SB
NatalieS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2005, 12:21 PM
I've just called for today's update, he was quite good during the night, apart from a toilet incident but that's to be expected given that he's been used to living outside. He's been out in the garden, very apprehensive at first but my dad sat and read his book so he was there but not fussing or watching. Rocco sat very still at first and then had a little bit of a walk around, sniffed at the neighbours dog at the fence (and didn't get upset by it, which I'm taking as a very good sign) and sat back beside the door to go back inside then he got back in his bed which is his 'safe' place. It was quite funny to hear my Dad talking to him in a girly voice (although a bit worrying that he does it so well). Definately lots of work to do with him, but if we can get a little improvement everyday, we'll get there. I'm still really upset at being mislead as to the way the dogs were raised by the breeders though! Thank you for everyone's advice, it all makes lots of sense!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >