Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by darasa
I don't think that is a fair appraisal of this thread
???? why would he report her dog.. the dog came back as soon as it was called.. surely you can't report every dog you are scared of as a dangerous dog... just because it runs up to you... I have met people that are scared of my Chihuahua, that does not mean they have any grounds for their fear,or reporting her as a dangerous dog or that I don't have a responsible attitude..they are entitled to their feelings and I am allowed the opinion that they are being silly !! having said that I can FULLY understand this mans defensive action when approached by a large breed, but that was his reaction based on nothing more than a dog approaching.. the dog and owner did nothing wrong!
The Dangerous Dogs Act states that a person only has to feel that a dog poses a threat, it does not actually have to inflict injury. I can imagine I'd feel very threatened if I were afraid of dogs and a large one came hurtling at me seemingly out of control. How can you say that the person concerned had no grounds to be afraid? People have fears and phobias, irrational or otherwise. Rightly or wrongly, the Dangerous Dogs Act exists and it is up to us as dog owners to take responsibility for our dogs and avoid situations where they might be perceived as posing a threat.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Hopefully I will get this as an article so we can all refer to it soon, but for now:

• Dogs Act 1871
Under this Act, a court may, upon complaint that a dog is dangerous and not kept under proper control, order the owner to keep him under proper control or to be destroyed.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by darasa
I don't think that is a fair appraisal of this thread
???? why would he report her dog.. the dog came back as soon as it was called.. surely you can't report every dog you are scared of as a dangerous dog... just because it runs up to you... I have met people that are scared of my Chihuahua, that does not mean they have any grounds for their fear,or reporting her as a dangerous dog or that I don't have a responsible attitude..they are entitled to their feelings and I am allowed the opinion that they are being silly !! having said that I can FULLY understand this mans defensive action when approached by a large breed, but that was his reaction based on nothing more than a dog approaching.. the dog and owner did nothing wrong!
so what would of happened if the man had started waving his arms about trying to scare the dog off???well my dogs would probably think it was a game and start jumping up him,nowadays that would be grounds to class my dogs as out of control.its really not sworth the risk,if you love your dog dont let them get into that situation becouse as far as the courts are conserned nowadays,there on the reoples side not the dogs,and dogs jumping up or running towards someone is in the eyes of the law a potential danger.
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola
The Dangerous Dogs Act states that a person only has to feel that a dog poses a threat, it does not actually have to inflict injury. I can imagine I'd feel very threatened if I were afraid of dogs and a large one came hurtling at me seemingly out of control. How can you say that the person concerned had no grounds to be afraid? People have fears and phobias, irrational or otherwise. Rightly or wrongly, the Dangerous Dogs Act exists and it is up to us as dog owners to take responsibility for our dogs and avoid situations where they might be perceived as posing a threat.
OK .. I was not aware when making my post that the "dangerous dogs act" covers peoples personal fears, phobias, regardless of whether the dog is actually being dangerous, aggressive, threatening, out of control etc... So my statement "surely you cannot report every dog you are scared of as a dangerous dog" is utter nonsense.. if you are scared for whatever reason you can report it as dangerous.I am absolutely terrified of English Bull Terriers, but that does not mean they are all dangerous! The law is the law...

I did not say that the person concerned had no grounds to be afraid I said that I could FULLY understand the mans defensive action when being approached by a large breed... However the dog was recalled and returned to its owner .. so no problem.. The man did not wave his arms around the dog did not jump up.. that is an entirely different scenerio which I doubt anyone would have posted as a "humourous" thread

I also understood the spirit that this thread was started with ... ie a retrospective humour regarding the original situation, particularly when I have been in similar situations with my 8 mnth old Chi... who I now realise has the potential to be reported as a dangerous dog!

I hope that clarifies my original post for you all
Rachel
Molly2606
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 05:24 PM
I think this was supposed to be a light hearted thread
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-05-2006, 07:24 AM
I think most of us are aware that it was supposed to be lighthearted. However, for the benefit of those who might not know about the Dangerous Dogs Act and the possible implications of a dog charging at someone, off lead and seemingly out of control, I feel it is only responsible to point it out.

On this occasion, no real harm was done but I'm sure it wasn't funny for the man who feared he may be attacked and it certainly wouldn't be funny if the OP were to come back and say that her dog had been seized under the DDA.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2