View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2011, 12:21 PM
We walk as a couple and all the dogs go out together, we drive to the woods and while the big uns are charging around covering lots of ground the little un will be alternating between mixing a bit and sticking like glue. I actually find it easier to train a little one as they tend to copy what the others are doing and the others are all already well trained. That doesn't mean all my dogs do the same thing the whole time as they don't, when ball chasing the Dobies will be chasing one of two balls on a rope, Diesel my staffie has his own ball on a rope and is only interested in that one, Frankie the terrier chases a latex squeaky ball and Tucson the pug just likes to chase him. When we are walking through the woods the Dobies and staffie tend to cover lots of ground, running through the undergrowth and constantly coming back to check we're still there, Frankie will be in the undergrowth hunting smells etc and is usually keeping pace with us but covering far less ground than the others do with their constant toing and froing. The pug will just be walking alongside stopping and sniffing and then catching up. They learn how to interact with other dogs by watching the others, they learn carrier bags in bushes are not scarey at all because none of the others take a blind bit of notice. They see the others calmly sit while bikes and horses pass by and see it's not anything to fear. I did use to do the odd seperate walk but tbh find it easier with two of us to give individual attention to one while the other occupies the rest of them.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 01:06 PM
A bit of both, sometimes together and sometimes apart. I try and give my dogs as much 1-on-1 time and separate walks as possible (if time allows).
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
....Sorry, gone off on a tangent here, forgotton what the question was lol!
LOL do not worry about that, any info is good for me

Thanks everyone!
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 08:57 PM
All interesting info for when I get my next dog.
Slightly different question, with people saying they don't really lead walk/pavement pound to start with, do you drive to where you are going to go offlead? You don't use any local parks?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I do not have a local park, I live just off the Wiltshire Downs...........
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
All interesting info for when I get my next dog.
Slightly different question, with people saying they don't really lead walk/pavement pound to start with, do you drive to where you are going to go offlead? You don't use any local parks?
Good question! I live literally 2 mins walk from a park just now, but will have moved out before getting my next dog so would be interested in the responses here too!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2011, 09:22 PM
My house backs onto a park but I never walk there, I drive to the country park or Epping forest.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I do not have a local park, I live just off the Wiltshire Downs...........
Some of us aren't that lucky!!!

But for those of us who live in a town situation, I live about 10/15mins away from a park (depends how fast I walk) then walk for around 30ish mins around park then home.
How would you fit pup in with this?
Obviously when pup is small can be carried to and part around the park but not when older, but pup still wouldn't be able to do full walk until a lot older.
Just to add...we don't always go to this park, generally about 4/5 times a week out of at least 14 walks. I do have a tiny park closer but is generally frequented by idiots or non dog friendly dogs, other walks we drive to.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2