View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 12:46 PM
My little boy is seven and he is allowed to hold one of the Chihuahuas by the lead, if he walks them with me. Obviously, I'll give him a good girl (either my Tiani or Fluffles Fufu as they are predictably 'good' always) where I can't really count on the others not to pull or bark, if a passing jogger or off-lead dog comes chasing at us. Ronnie knows to put his hand through the lead and then curl the lead a couple of times in his hand, so that there's no chance of him letting the lead go.

Of course though, it's a bit different for me, as none of mine (weighing between 4 and 6 pounds) are likely to drag my boy across the road or anything. Don't think I'd let him walk a large breed dog, unless the dog was really reliable, like my Tiani and Fluffs.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 12:51 PM
My kids are only 4 and 5 and they have both held onto both my dogs before - obviously not near the road and in an enclosed area so i didnt lose the dogs!!!

They both got pulled over...I actually did it on purpose so they learnt how strong the dogs are and why they cannot lead them all the time!!! (what a cruel mother!!!!!!) It was on the grass so they had a soft landing, lol!!!

Complaints will be taken by PM!!!!!!!!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 12:54 PM
my wee boy of 2 gets to hold Bruno's lead - what he doesnt realise is i am holding it further up. I only let him do it on the way back up our street though.

He loves it and says look mummy i am walking bruno !! bless...

I got to hold my grans dog from age 9 and that was a GSD, i think i walked it by myself at about 11.... not that i woudl ever allow luca to do that now !! LOL
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
My kids are only 4 and 5 and they have both held onto both my dogs before - obviously not near the road and in an enclosed area so i didnt lose the dogs!!!

They both got pulled over...I actually did it on purpose so they learnt how strong the dogs are and why they cannot lead them all the time!!! (what a cruel mother!!!!!!) It was on the grass so they had a soft landing, lol!!!
Complaints will be taken by PM!!!!!!!!!

I think that is a really good idea. Sometimes children only learn by their 'mistakes' - having three kids, I know this sooooooo well!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 01:41 PM
I allow little ones to hold Pharaoh, he never pulls and even in his best chase after rabbits he casn't pull my friend's 4 yr old over! Never on her own though and never around other dogs.. I know what Pharaoh will do, but you can never tell about the other dog.

Selkie also allows little ones to lead her around and seems to enjoy it. She has often been taken for long walks at garden parties or picnics by the families children. Only in the field and not along the road. Selkie is 11 yrs old and bomb proof however, she ignores all distractions and just likes to plod alond doing her own thing.

Kismet is too strong and still has few lead manners, so no littrle ones for her, though Bathany (4) likes to hold second lead on her harness and get pulled along by her while I hold her main lead. Beth happily crying "Hike on!"
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Our godson, who has grown up around Boxers, was desperate to hold Max's lead on one walk. We said that Max was too strong for him, but he persisted. So when we were in the field we let him do it...

Predictably, Max started to walk off (not pulling), but at the speed he walks with me, and Godson went flat on his face in the mud

Of course, we explained that Max hadn't been pulling, and could Godson imagine what it would be like if Max did pull etc. and he got the message!

Count me in as cruel!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I've let my son hold Biff's lead before now,but only with me right next to him, watching out for things and within grabbable distance of the lead.
He is going to classes with Cosmo after Christmas...they are specifically for kids and dogs, but still...could be interesting as Cosmo is as excitable onlead as he is offlead!!!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
she got to the tree and desided she was going to turn and run back to us, well she spun round and took off, reached the end of the lead, But kaos stood still, she landed on her back in the damp grass, her wee wellie boots up in the air, bless, I dont think kaos even felt the tug..
so funny (I hope the wee lass thought so too)

With all the young children I've allowed to hold the lead, I have always made sure they understand that they are to let go if the dog pulls them (so only where I would be happy for my dog to be off lead).

I also make them practice it so they can see that the dog won't run away. On that proviso, I would have no problem what age the child was.

It actually worked really well for Hoki - she does tend to pull, but soon realised that if she pulled too hard, the lead got dropped, she got called back, lead picked up and off again, so it took her twice as long to get anywhere
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Natty has always been allowed to Hold Cookie Leonberger, she knew if Cooks ever tried to really pull her, she was too just dropped the Lead. As there's no way she could have stopped her. She than used her voice to get her Back.

This was never done near a main Road . when near roads, Cookie wore 2 Leads and Natty did most of the controlling, I was just back up
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2008, 04:56 PM
I've just come back from walking our 2 and on the way back on the other side of the road was a young girl with a lovely looking Husky type dog,the dog looked young as well, and the girl looked to be about 8 years old and on her own, its not that busy by us, but it didn't seem right to me that she should be out with the dog on her own.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >