Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Meganrose are you by any chance talking about the microsoft counterfeit campaign?

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/win...9265303,00.htm
Yes Mini, I've just read the link and that is exactly what's happened to me!There's a little star thing on my desktop and I think it appeared after an update. The updates are all set on automatic as I havent got a clue what I'm doing with them. So much for a friend of a friend and my £800 then It looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay up again then. But, that's the last business I'm going to give to that particulat computer engineer. Will it be okay to just ignore for a while do you think as I'm absolutely stint after the holiday and of course I will need the money for my puppy in a few weeks time.

Thanks, Kath X
Minnie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Murphy
I'd be carefull of this we've been getting the same thing at work this week ..its being investigated but we think its some kind of spyware .Personally I wouldn't follow any link from a pop up and then pay online ....sounds very dodgy to me ..I'll let you know if I hear anything else
You beat me to saying do not pay anyone anything...this sounds like a big hoax to me. If it really was Microsoft wanting to know how you got the software trust me it wouldn't come in the form of a pop up!!

Try looking here:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

There are a few other sites that would be able to help you but I can't think what they are now...I will try to remember and post them here. If this pop up appears again, note down exactly what it says and then post it back on here!

It might be worth downloading the free version of Ad Aware too from this site:
http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
It will find any spyware that has been installed without your knowledge and get rid of it!
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
You're not that well protected Mini-many of the security patches are because of inherent flaws in the Windows operating system when designed by Microsoft and having updates ensures your pc will work alright as and when required.

I would seriously consider getting a genuine operating system installed.
Steve if I pay up again and download whatever from them, will it be difficult. I won't need to do anything like wipe off my computer 1st will I, or I may never get it started again, plus I don't want to loose all the other things on it.
Sorry but I really am a computer novice and out here in the sticks I have no-one to ask if I'm not going back to that computer engineer again.

Thanks, Kath X
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Meganrose
Steve if I pay up again and download whatever from them, will it be difficult. I won't need to do anything like wipe off my computer 1st will I, or I may never get it started again, plus I don't want to loose all the other things on it.
Sorry but I really am a computer novice and out here in the sticks I have no-one to ask if I'm not going back to that computer engineer again.

Thanks, Kath X
Im not saying pay the peeps who have invaded your PC Kath,but to get a proper authorised copy of Windows installed-perhaps by a reputable shop.This 'star' maybe genuine and from Microsoft,but it also could be someone scamming.Personally-i think its a scam cause Windows XP in PC World etc is around £200 so £90 is under value.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks Steve, Mini and everyone I think I'll leave well alone for now and then take it somewhere as you suggest Steve when I've saved up. I am flipping mad though if it is proved to be not genuine.

Thanks again, Kath X
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Minnie
You beat me to saying do not pay anyone anything...this sounds like a big hoax to me. If it really was Microsoft wanting to know how you got the software trust me it wouldn't come in the form of a pop up!!

Try looking here:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

There are a few other sites that would be able to help you but I can't think what they are now...I will try to remember and post them here. If this pop up appears again, note down exactly what it says and then post it back on here!
Hi Minnie don't think this is not a hoax, see the article I posted above from Znet magazine ...the popups were from Microsoft.

Kath I am not paying to update Windows, my PC is old and it is not worth spending money on it...if there is a problem with patches I can cope
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Meganrose
Thanks Steve, Mini and everyone I think I'll leave well alone for now and then take it somewhere as you suggest Steve when I've saved up. I am flipping mad though if it is proved to be not genuine.

Thanks again, Kath X
I think personally,this blue star is nothing to do with Microsoft so it wont do any harm to do a scan.
Let these peeps scan your pc and if theres anything there-they should be able to remove it.

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/hom...dex_virus.html

Symantec are probably the worlds largest antivirus bods so no worries there!
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 10:28 PM
If I click on the desktop star thingy to "rectify" the problem this is the page it takes me to the following page but I daren't click any further do you think it's genuine???

Quick Links | Home | Worldwide

Search Microsoft.com for:

Genuine Microsoft Software | How to Tell

This copy of Windows is not genuine[0x80080203]
You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. The Windows product key installed on this computer is not genuine.
The product key is a unique identifier assigned by Microsoft only to genuine Windows software. If this key is missing or incorrect, it may indicate the presence of counterfeit software and your system may be at risk.

The Windows product key installed on this computer is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked. A VLK is typically licensed to organizations that want to use multiple copies of Windows. However, if a VLK is reported as stolen or leaked, it is blocked from passing validation and is not considered genuine.

If you received a computer with a VLK, and you do not have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft, you may be a victim of software counterfeiting. If this has happened to you, learn how to get genuine below.
If you do have a Volume License Agreement with Microsoft, you believe you are using the appropriate VLK assigned to your organization, and your VLK has not been reported as stolen or lost, contact your system administrator, Large Account Reseller (LAR), or Enterprise Software Advisor (ESA) to report the problem.

Get Genuine Windows Now
Buy a genuine product key online
Special offer: Purchase a genuine product key online and convert your system to genuine Windows.

Or see all options for getting genuine Windows

Customer Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read answers to frequently asked questions.

Need help? Want to submit feedback? Contact us.

Visit the Windows Genuine Advantage Forum (English Only).

Genuine Windows Benefits

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only Genuine Windows customers are eligible to receive Microsoft product support, select security upgrades, and other new features.

Coming soon! Internet Explorer 7, making everyday tasks easier & more secure.

Windows Defender offers on-going protection against spyware.

Learn more about the benefits of genuine software.

My location is: Afghanistan Albania Algeria Andorra Angola Anguilla Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Brazil British Indian Ocean Territories British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cayman Islands Chile China Colombia Congo Costa Rica Cote d’Ivoire Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Estonia Ethiopia Faroe Islands Finland France French Guiana Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guatemala Guyana Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Korea Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Martinique Mauritius Mexico Moldova Monaco Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Nigeria Norway Oman Pakistan Palestinian National Authority Panama Paraguay Peru Philippines Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Republic of Rwanda Reunion Romania Russian Federation Saint Helena Saint Lucia San Marino Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia and Montenegro Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Somalia South Africa Spain Sri Lanka St. Kitts And Nevis St. Vincent And The Grenadines Suriname Svalbard and Jan Mayen Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Togo Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turks and Caicos Islands Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States Uruguay Uzbekistan Vatican City State Venezuela Vietnam Virgin Islands (US) Yemen Zaire Zambia Zimbabwe

Manage Your Profile |Contact Us |Worldwide Sites
© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use |Trademarks |Privacy Statement
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2006, 10:28 PM
If you click on the blue icon this is the message you get..

Edited to remove the link .
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
If you click on the blue icon this is the message you get..

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...7-1215e84f34d5
Copied the address as follows;http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/pur...3-c5cc59669325

So dare i purchase from here then anyone ???

Thanks again.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »