Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Exercise - What does your dog get

Mine have one hour in the morning (about 5am) half an hour one 2 one each, one hour in the evening (about 5pm) and then a 20min pootle at 10pm.

On the 1:1 walks, we very rarely walk, its usually playtime/training/experimenting with new techniques

What do yours get?

Weekends, are usually 2/3 hour hikes (as a family) or a good few hours in a big field with toys and when the weather is nice, a picnic.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Sounds lovely

Axel gets normally a short walk (20mins) with off-lead zooming, and often a 1 hour walk in the evening or afternoon. This will be off-lead where possible but he doesn't mind it being all on-lead either
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Varies day by day depending on my workload, if I am travelling, competing, judging, working etc. But over a week generally they get:

At least one session of swimming (30 mins) in a hydropool during the cold months, in the lakes in the summer.

Circa 20 - 30 miles of trotting beside the bike on a disused airfield over 2 - 3 sessions a week.

A walk of between 5 - 10 miles per day

Tracking
Obedience Training - heelwork, sendaways, retrieves, speaks, stays, jumps spread a little bit each day.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Benjie gets 2-3 45 minute walks a day and refuses to do any training - he just walks off - seriously! and he doesn't understand mental stimulation - he's a true couch potato.

Louie gets the same except he has training and mental games - atm it's just find which cup hides the treat. For this week though he's had 2 15 minute walks as he has hurt his paw - although the exercise he's given himself atm isn't going to help - he's running circles around the bunny run whilst the rabbit just sits there and munches grass. Puppies!

Sadie gets the same when she's with me, but at home she gets one half an hour/hour walk after school - my sister takes her (her owners don't deserve her IMO)

But they all vary - this is just the basic outline - when I'm feeling right I take Louie out on his own and work on his walking - which is about 3 times a week. And sometimes they'll get 1-2 hours walks in the countryside around our house - it depends where we are really - being inbetween houses it's hard to say how much they get..
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Ted normally gets an 1 to 1 1/2 hours in the morning which is normally a mixture of off and on lead depending on where we go. He then gets same again in the evening he also gets to play and run around in the garden with me at various times.

When i'm not working we usually go for longer in the morning and lunchtime/early afternoon he usually gets a 20min walk to the green to play ball if hes in the mood otherwise just a mooch round
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 12:25 PM
mine get an hour maybe more when im in all day, depending on where we walk and what the weather is like.

if im going out during the day then they get half and hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening, maybe a bit more but it depends weather wise etc. i like them to have at least half an hour off lead.

i dont take them out much individually. i will do for a bit of training, like taking asbo out for recall training, and they have been separate all the time for the past 16 days as daph is in season

as well as that they go for zoomies in the field at the front of the house for about half an hour, and at weekends we go on big walks 2 hours+ at different trails etc
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Mine get an hour in the evening, plus extra walks on days off/weekends. Some is on lead, some is off, depending on where we go, who's about etc. They also go running in harness which they love. That's a couple of times a week. Luckily they are laid back and don't mind whether we do long or short walks as long as they are with their mummy!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 12:29 PM
At the minute Molly is getting an hour running free in the fields and then a 15 minute lead walk to the park in the evening Occasionally if her recall isn't good and she's playing up it will be an hour and a half on lead through the fields and then 20 minutes running free in the park if no one's around.

Then throughout the day I usually do a 10 minute clicker training session and we'll play ball for about half an hour in the garden or in the house

At weekends or if I have a free day we tend to go out into the middle of nowhere and just walk and walk until she starts to flag a bit and then we'll go home
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Mine get half an hour (mostly off lead) in the morning before work and then about an hour all off lead in the afternoon. If I'm going training in the evening, I won't do any at home unless it's with one of the others but that's a bit hit and miss to be honest! I go training two or three times a week. Obviously, in the summer it changes because I am at shows most weekends.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 01:56 PM
My big two get walked for 40 minutes in the morning. If I'm working, they'll get walked again for an hour in the evening. If I'm not working they'll still get the same in the morning, but another 1 1/2 hours at some other point in the day, normally in one walk but sometimes two. All that said, we are flexible and don't follow any kind of routine -- whatever we do though, generally totals about 2 hours of exercise a day.

Tilly my Yorkie tags along as and when. She isn't fussed about walks. If I get time I'll walk her separately for half an hour, or I'll walk her with the other two in the afternoon/evening if the walk doesn't involve too much road walking (I struggle to handle all three because Bo is such a handful ).
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »