Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 10:17 PM

Metacam

Does anyone here use Metacam regularly on their dog. I'm dog sitting an elderly Lab who is on it but I'm not convinced it's doing much good. I was wondering whether if I split the dose it would be better as it appears to be wearing off by the evening.
Becky
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 10:21 PM
I think it should only be given once a day Becky.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Storm was on metacam for about 4mths near the end(and a lot of other times post-ops) and it was a god send.

I wouldnt split the does as the vet has most likely put the old fella(or girl) for a reason. Storm was also on the one dose but 2 near the very end.

Do you have the owners number to see if they can contact the vet and see what they do.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Roxy has been on it for some time now - a year at last. She has a luxating patella. She is also on Syn-Flex which helps as well. She's doing really well on the both of them. The Metacam is given first thing, as is the SF.
HTH
x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 10:33 PM
I was thinking of speaking to the vets on Monday as they are the same vets as mine and see what they suggest. If she was mine she'd have been given rest a long time ago
Becky
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Does anyone here use Metacam regularly on their dog. I'm dog sitting an elderly Lab who is on it but I'm not convinced it's doing much good. I was wondering whether if I split the dose it would be better as it appears to be wearing off by the evening.
Becky
hihun i use metacam and split the dose in to if been on it for a while i have done a op up as well not alot but if in a lot of pain i gave a small extra just to help. hope that helps hun.

or change it so the doseis given at night not in the morning give a small amount like tom morn then the full amount inthe evening you might find this will help alot. i have changd 1 of mine over from morning to night a that is when they are at rest most and they it gets worse has worked a lot better. let us now how it goes
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Will add the vet said to split Storms the few days before he was put to sleep.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 10:41 PM
It's heartbreaking to see, she can only go from her bed to the garden and that is so painful for her
Becky
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Jess is on metacam every day and has been for about 6 weeks.

I give one dose at 5pm every day. I can always tell when it is wearing off, normally around 4pm and the other doesn't kick in till nearly 6pm, so every evening she limps alot more and becomes more subdued. Come 6pm she is normally back to her old self. So i have no doubt that once a day works and lasts 23hours.

As for giving an extra dose i did this with jess on the weekend as she was very very sore after her mri scan (must have been pulled around something terrible). I telephoned emergency vet as she was in such pain, and i was told as a one off only to increase it by half again.

hope that helps.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Forgot to mention, Roxy has regular blood tests.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >