View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 01:12 PM
We have had to do this twice now with Fudge. the first time was athree man job. One to open the eyes, the other to pin her and the other to do the drops. This was followed by loads of praise and treats. It did get easier day by day to the point that she would come and sit and let me do the drops on her own 'cos she knew the treats were coming. I can only say persevere. the drops have to go in just treat and praise all the way.

It might also be wise after all of this to get him used to a daily body check including eye and ear examination and treat as you go. This way it is easier to administer medicine or check for injury. I learned this after we had eye drops to do!

Good luck, I know how hard it is.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
It might also be wise after all of this to get him used to a daily body check including eye and ear examination and treat as you go. This way it is easier to administer medicine or check for injury. I learned this after we had eye drops to do!
Exactly what I've been thinking. I was going to wash out the bottles and use them as "props"! I wish someone had told me this before, hindsight eh!

I brought it up to the group in puppy class last night and explained why it was so important and our instructor did a demonstration for us (not with Woody though as he'd had enough by then). She used a charming Mini Shnau who just sat there and let it all be done to her. I was cursing ;o)
whippetwatch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2009, 02:55 PM
How long does your puppy class run for? Ours was only 6 weeks?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 04:22 PM
6 sessions. Next week is the last one. Because of Christmas and New Year we had a three week break.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 05:07 PM
I find the ointment easier to put in than drops. Not helpful right now I know but heigh ho, my twopenneth...
Pebs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2009, 06:25 PM
I agree with Fernsmum,

Wrap him up in a towel, make sure all four paws are in the centre of the towel (keeping his head out side), and wrap him up, you need to make sure it is fairly tight. you should then have full control to administer the drops.

Pebs
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Whenever I've had to give Poppy eye drops I've found it better to do it from behind. Sit on the bottom step of the staircase, Poppy between my feet with her back to me, gently put left hand under her chin to raise her head up, as she looks up, drop the eye drops in. Or instead of putting hand under chin, hold a treat so she has to look up and move her head back.

The annoying thing is, they sit so well at the vets for them to do it and the little b*ggers don't even move an inch, but you get them home and they run you ragged! Good luck.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Harry25 View Post
The annoying thing is, they sit so well at the vets for them to do it and the little b*ggers don't even move an inch, but you get them home and they run you ragged! Good luck.
So, so true!!

Thanks for all your advice guys. Unfortunately Woody is a law unto himself and none of it has worked. We even muzzled him but he moves so vigorously I've nearly stuck the drop bottle in his eye (why the hell do they do it with a sharp, pointy end!!) on numerous occasions!

He has his second check up on Tue so I'll chat with her about it then, but have had to give up for now. Only missed a few days and both eyes and ears have fully cleared. We'll see what she says.

I certainly want to be able to nail it with him as I doubt, owning a spaniel, this is the first and last time he'll need these drops! I'm going to keep practising weekly, so he thinks it's all part of the routine!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2