Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 09:00 AM

Administering eye drops to a wriggly puppy

Poor little Woody is full of this infection. His eyes are red and sore and his little ears are so oily and inflamed.

The vet showed me how to restrain him to administer each drop and he's fine with the ears, but everytime I do the eyes he just wriggles like mad and snaps at my hand with his mouth.

We've tried it with a treat in front of him, but he just goes mad for the treat and still snaps.

Any suggestions? Tips? Anyone want to come and do it? I just want the little boy to get better but I can't help him if he keeps wriggling and snapping!

;o(
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Have you a wall where you can smear some peanut butter (fridge front etc)? That can sometimes work...

When we had to put drops in Max's eye, I would wrap him in a towel, put him on the sofa, sat up, then lean against him and the back of the sofa so he couldn't move, use one arm to pin his head back and the other to put the drops in. It was pretty brutal (as Max is about 5 stone) but it was the only way I could get the drops in.

Maybe laying Woody down and covering as much of him with a towel is the way to go?
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2009, 09:17 AM
The only thing that crossed my mind was to use a muzzle - not any kind, but the "Mikki" brand which puts a soft-yet-firm band round the mouth, but leaves the eyes quite clear. I have no idea how much they cost these days, but little to clear up the problem.

HTH
Snorri
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 09:23 AM
The trouble with him is that he cannot stand being restrained in any way, shape or form. Even a tight hold if we pick him up he hates, although with this he will eventuallly go still and calm.
We tried this last night but he just pushed his way out of my husbands arms.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
The trouble with him is that he cannot stand being restrained in any way, shape or form. Even a tight hold if we pick him up he hates, although with this he will eventuallly go still and calm.
We tried this last night but he just pushed his way out of my husbands arms.
Max hates this too.... he has to be muzzled at the vets...

Unfortunately, he has to learn that sometimes you will need to restrain him, and that you won't let him go until you've done what you need to.

Max used to run away when I picked up the eye drop bottle, because he knew what I'd do to him (and this was only 6 months ago, not when he was a puppy!!)

If he snaps etc, a muzzle (only for medicating him) might be the best option. At least you can wrap him up, muzzle him and get the drops in - the quicker you can do it the better.

I spent many hours chasing Max round the living room, getting OH to practically sit on him, so I could get him sorted.

The only other thing I can think of is to pounce when he is asleep on the sofa. Drape a blanket over him, lean on/over him to restrain him, then lift an eyelid and drop.... however, he may then become a little mistrustful of you for a bit!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 10:02 AM
He's very treat focused, so I want him to get used to having the "horrid bad thing, but then I get a treat"! He doesn't bite me, he just snaps as if telling me to get away.

Funny puppy! He looks so sore and runny ;o(
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2009, 10:19 AM
hooch had to have eye drops, the thing is with those they sting after you put them in at the begining of the treatment, when the eyes are very sore, no wonder our dogs hate them. it always took two of us to be able to put them in. we had to wait until he was lay down on the settee and then pounce on him.
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Aww poor wee mite! I don't know if it's any use but we can't get drops or anything into Hamish if he's on the floor or sofa... but if we put him up on top of his crate or a table he tends to sit better, I don't know if it's to do with balance or something but he doesnt wriggle about. Can imagine it must be hard for you with a 4 month springer! The peanut butter on a wall is a good idea too. Hope you have some luck and if you find a good way to do it please share!!

Deedee x
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 12:45 PM
I have in the past had to administer eye drops to a wriggly child. In the end we agreed that she would lie on the floor with her eyes shut so that the drops could be put into the corner of her eyes. Then she opened her eyes and blinked.
Do you think you could do this while your dog is asleep and then wake him up so that he blinks them into his eyes?
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Think you just have to be quite firm with him and lift him up on to a work top , table etc
Probably a two man job one to hold him and one to put the drops in . Wrapping him in a big towel should help .
Afterwards always give him a treat
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >