Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-08-2013, 07:09 PM

Adverse Effects of Neutering, Cancer, Joint Disorders

Adverse Effects of Neutering on Cancers and Joint Disorders
In Dogs Over the Last Decade

Compiled by B L Hart, DVM, PhD

Osteosarcoma in Rottweilers three times greater in males and females neutered before 1 year than intact males and females
From Cooley et al.2002.
Endogenous gonadal hormone exposure and bone sarcoma risk.
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prevent 11:1434--‐1440

Canine prostate cancer 4 times more in neutered than in intact males.
FromTeske et al. 2002.
Canine prostate carcinoma: epidemiological evidence of an increased risk in
Castrated dogs. Mol Cell Endocrinol 197:251–255

Lymphoma (lymphosarcoma) 3 times more prevalent in spayed females than intact females (VMDB)
From Villamil et al. 2010.
Hormonaland sex impact on the epidemiology of canine lymphoma.
J Cancer Epidemiol 1–7. doi:10.1155/2009/591753

Mast cell tumor 4 times greater in neutered than intact females.
From White et al. 2011.
Cutaneous mast cell tumors: Associations with spay/neuter status, breed, body size, and phylogenetic cluster.
J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 47:210–216.

Cranial cruciate ligament deficiency (tear) 2-3 times greater in neutered males or females than in intact males or females, combining breeds (VMDB)
From Witsberger et al. 2008.
Prevalence of, and risk factors for, hip dysplasia and cranial cruciate ligament deficiency
In dogs.
J Am Vet Med Assoc 232:1818–1824.

Hip dysplasia 17% more likely in neutered males than in intact males, combining breeds (VMDB)
From Witsberger et al.2008.
Prevalence of, and risk factors for, hip dysplasia and cranial cruciate ligament deficiency
In dogs.
J Am Vet Med Assoc 232:1818–1824.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-08-2013, 08:10 AM
For anyone interested - The next single breed research to be undertaken by the University of California will be the German Shepherd Dog. I have decided not to neuter my GSD based on the results of this research. He is now 18 months old and I had been putting it off until he was fully grown this summer.
Interestingly my own vet advocates neutering from 5 to 6 months old. It makes you wonder why they are so out of step with current research findings.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
For anyone interested - The next single breed research to be undertaken by the University of California will be the German Shepherd Dog. I have decided not to neuter my GSD based on the results of this research. He is now 18 months old and I had been putting it off until he was fully grown this summer.
Interestingly my own vet advocates neutering from 5 to 6 months old. It makes you wonder why they are so out of step with current research findings.
I guess maybe its down to their priority in addressing irresponsible breeding, they seem to assume that everyone with an intact dog is going to let the go at it with every bitch/dog they see

Interesting reading , I have seen some of it before
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Do you have a link to it please?
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Do you have a link to it please?
Mattie, do you mean a link to my Vet, or the UC info?

The UC info was sent to me by Prof. Hart as a pdf file. He created the file from research carried out at other faculties, and he also informed me that he would be selecting the GSD next for single breed research.
So no link available im afraid.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Mattie, do you mean a link to my Vet, or the UC info?

The UC info was sent to me by Prof. Hart as a pdf file. He created the file from research carried out at other faculties, and he also informed me that he would be selecting the GSD next for single breed research.
So no link available im afraid.
Pity there isn't a link, I could have passed it on, the more information there is the better decisions owners can make

Do you mind if I copy it?
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Pity there isn't a link, I could have passed it on, the more information there is the better decisions owners can make

Do you mind if I copy it?
No not all, please quote the source as:

Benjamin L. Hart
Distinguished Professor Emeritus
School of Veterinary Medicine
University of California, Davis
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Old news, big time. I have heard all this and the only dog I've ever had neutered is my current puppy, Nigredo. Never had any litters, either... oddly enough.

It's always subjective... increased risks of cancer doesn't mean the dog will get cancer. I mean certain breeds have a much higher risk of certain diseases than others, doesn't stop the "breed lovers" from getting the breeds anyway, right?

Personally I like my dogs to live longer than 10-12, so I'd not get a giant breed or a breed with lots of genetic or known health problems to increase my chances of getting what I want. Same with spaying/neutering.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Old news, big time..
It's always subjective... increased risks of cancer doesn't mean the dog will get cancer. I mean certain breeds have a much higher risk of certain diseases than others.
Some of it is old, some new, the dates under each heading will inform you of it's age.

'Increased risk of cancer doesn't mean the dog will get cancer'- right, but isn't that the choice Angelina Jolie took recently? She knew she had a high risk and took what she considered to be the appropriate steps to avoid that risk completely.
If you know there is a risk you do what you can to minimize it.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Wouldn't be the £££££'s by any chance?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >