Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 01:07 PM

Adding to dogs' dinner

My dogs have their dry kibble, and usually once a day they have a tin of butchers tripe mix shared between them...not everyday, usually when I remember lol

I have been giving Simba brown rice with chicken and garlic yesterday and today, after his operation and he really likes it.
Iv heard that garlic is really good as a natural flea deterant so was really wondering how much is considered beneficial, how often...??

Also I give them an egg once a week and occasionally some natural yoghurt.

I was wondering about carrots? What are the benefits and how should I feed them? How often?

Is there any other beneficial add-ons that I could provide them regularly?
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 03:49 PM
I feed ours raw carrotts to help clean their teeth.I don't think they digest them well raw though, so lightly cooked probably gives them more of the vits I also feed apples tinned oily fish and veg/meat leftovers from meals sometimes.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Sardines, white fish (when I can get coley), probiotic yoghurt occasionally. Otherwise half a tin of AG Partners between them to make a bit of gravy.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Ours have frozen mixed veg lightly steamed and whole raw carrots (help keep weight down but fill them up nicely). You can always tell our dogs poo from any other as they are so brightly coloured
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Arden Grange too, also tinned wild pink Salmon and egg a couple of times a week.

In regards to the Garlic, my dog who weighs about 22-24kgs gets a clove daily. For his weight, he should get no more than that on a daily basis.

I agree with everyone else too that any vege you give should be lightly cooked or pureed (SP?) for better bioavailability.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Our three (well except Sadie she just likes to chase and fetch it) have carrots but it's only when they steal them from the rabbits or the kitchen rack Louie's never had problems digesting it though..

They also have a bit of pasta every now and again and steamed/boiled (in a pan of hot water) peas & carrots every now and again.

Not tried Garlic - Hmmmm
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 06:19 PM
i give mine a sprinkle of garlic powder on their food once a day, just a tiny bit, as i heard it works for fleas, and have never had a problem with fleas.

mine are on raw so have mince meat, you could add a bit of that in, mine have different meats. i also add egg in once a week (they have it scrambled because they dont like it raw) they have a bit of pasta, they have veg thats out of a frozen packet, which is peas, carrot green beans and sweetcorn. they get fish now and again in sunflower oil, tuna or sardines in tomato sauce. they also have potato now and again.... and cheese.

oh my my dogs are spoiled
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 07:09 PM
On one meal per day (they usually have 2) they have a tin of Sardines between them. I get them ones in sunflower oil.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 05:47 PM
I too give them sardines for their coats once a week. Every other day of the week they get a small amount of tinned dog food on their kibble to make it more interesting. I use Chappie and they love it.