Our sister sites
Our sister sites
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-12-2007, 05:35 PM

hip and joint problems - diet?

HI!

Today I was at the vet with my dog, because he was whining at night when just lying still on his bed.
The vet told me that he believes his joints (hips especially) are sore...He gave him an injection and some pills.
The vet suggested that I should feed him Hills j/d so to slow down the process...
But I am worried because hills was one of the food brands recalled in the USA recently...
I am also a bit suspicious because he only recomended me hill, which is the only food that he is selling
What do you think?
( Until now I have been feeding him with Britt and home cooked meals occasionally)

Thanks!
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-12-2007, 05:43 PM
I forgot to mention that he was just fine (other than being terrified of firecrackers) until now.
I can't believe that yesterday he was fine and at night he stareted to show signs so severe
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 05:48 PM
sorry hun no advice but sorry to hear this i am thinking of you both. Maybe be look online and see if there is a food simalar to the hills j/d that he said.
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Don't see how Hills can help if that's the problem!! But yes hip problems etc are food and environment led to, not just genetic.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Your profile says large breed....but what breed are we talking about and how old?
Problems with hips doesn't appear overnight, in any breed i know.
Is your dog fed the correct type of food for size?
Have you had your dog scored?
If your dog is still a pup it may be growing pains and not actually hip problems, they can go through fazes of joint pain due to growth.
I was always informed it is genetic, food, exercise that contributes to hips and elbows.
My dogs are fed on the hills natures choice food, for adult giant breed.
If your dogs in pain don't exercise it, just allow him/her to free exercise as and when it chooses a dog won't exercise if it is too painful.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Agree with Leo.

If it's only at night, it could also be cramps etc, which some dogs get now and again, the same as humans. How much is he exercised ? and how old is he ?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Also weight, if you think how heavy they are and possibly laying funny for a while, it will affect the joint.
Does your dog walk ok when up and moving, free from pain, normal gait.
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-12-2007, 06:34 PM
HI!

He is not a purebred, that is why I can't tell his breed...You can see his photo in my introduction (New here), I don't think he is overweight...
He has 50 kg (110 pounds I think) and is 7 years old. He never walks funny, he can stand up without any problems, he runs with his friends (dogs), I never force him to run.
We also haven't been on a long walk since the begining of december, because of the firecrackers . He is so afraid of them that he starts shaking and wants to go home imediately - we just go out so he can his stuff and than he turns back and looks at me. He will go with me if I go, but I don't want to force him because he is whining and shaking than...
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-12-2007, 06:37 PM
OH...
He was walking fine until today (in the morning). I took him to the vet nad he gave him an injection and now he is walking almost normally (has a bit trouble standing up) now.
Yesterday he was a bit slow on his walk, but I don't remember anything that could cause this sudden change...
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-12-2007, 06:47 PM
He looks like a leo x to me.
He has the head shape and frame from your pictures, but small at 50 kgs for a boy.
At 7 yrs old he would be classed as middle aged for a leo (if i am right)
How tall is he to the shoulders? My lad is a pedigree leo and is approx 33" to the shoulders and now around 76kg.
It might not be his hips it could just be age and Arthritis starting to show.
Has he been ok up to now? No injuries or falls etc?
My 2 leos.

Toby is standing.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >