Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2010, 12:29 AM

Fur Saver for Terrier Type Coat

Ive posted before about Totts' fur around her neck. It has regrown, not nearly as thick as it was before but not nearly as bad. However her collar seems to be stripping the fur around her neck. She wears a loose half check. New one from before, no corrosion. Is there a collar designed to not cause damage to the coat? It doesnt seem to bother her at all but it just doesnt look right. The coat is very short and has now went almost fluffy around were her collar seems to fall naturally.

Ive considered having no collar on her at all while in the house, but I would prefer she always had something on to show identification and then a half check for walks and training.

Anyone know of anything? Any advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks

L x
jem fong
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2010, 10:15 AM
I made the mistake of leaving a loose collar on Nacho when he was a pup, indoors and out . And the fur on his neck under his chin never grew, there was no irritation just soft smooth skin (but it did make him look a bit funny). So for about 4 - 5 months now he only wears one out side and walks with a harness not collar. Progress is slow but he now has slight soft stubble and about 7 - 9 individual normal hairs - but he's getting there.

with my new puppy he doesnt wear a collar indoors at all n only a harness when we are out but he too has very little fur on his neck because he is only 16 weeks. the crucial time is when they are loosing the puppy coat and getting their adult coat - if it is disturbed at this time much harder to grow back (like Nacho for example ).

How old is she, and did she start wearing a collar when she still had her puppy coat?
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by jem fong View Post
I made the mistake of leaving a loose collar on Nacho when he was a pup, indoors and out . And the fur on his neck under his chin never grew, there was no irritation just soft smooth skin (but it did make him look a bit funny). So for about 4 - 5 months now he only wears one out side and walks with a harness not collar. Progress is slow but he now has slight soft stubble and about 7 - 9 individual normal hairs - but he's getting there.

with my new puppy he doesnt wear a collar indoors at all n only a harness when we are out but he too has very little fur on his neck because he is only 16 weeks. the crucial time is when they are loosing the puppy coat and getting their adult coat - if it is disturbed at this time much harder to grow back (like Nacho for example ).

How old is she, and did she start wearing a collar when she still had her puppy coat?
Shes around 2 and a half now I reckon. I rehomed her. Her coat was actually better then than it is now if im honest!
Her coat has started to become soft, which I know its not meant to be. Previously she lived outside dont know if thats the reason for it because she is certainly on a better diet now.

She had an old leather collar on her when I collected her, but her neck fur was very thick. I have never owned a terrier before, only long coated dogs so have never had to deal with this type of coat. She went bald around her neck when she blew her coat after her previous season, thankfully it has grown in just not as full.

Dont know what to do to improve her coat, any suggestions?

Thanks
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I wouldn`t leave a collar, especially a loose one, on an unsupervised dog. I suggest you get the dog microchipped for ID then you won`t have to worry.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2010, 05:45 PM
She is also microchipped, however as far as im aware she has to carry her adress and contact details on her at all times?