Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 11:52 AM

How Long Have You Been "Into Dogs" ?

I was just browsing at another thread and saw this posting from Kath, (I do hope you don't mind me using your post as an example)
"Just slightly off topic but to Minihaha and Luz. I had ordered my first dobe - way back in 1956 even though I had never seen one (it was husbands choice) and I went to Belle Vue to see the dobes and meet my pups sire. Later found out that my Atilla was born on the show day.

Many years later I showed there too. Kath" unquote

It got me thinking, that was several years before I was born , and I know we have some real experts on various issues, so I wondered how long members have been into dogs. It would be interesting to see who has the longest record.

To start the ball rolling, I was just 2 years old when my parents got our first dog, he was a cross between a Lab and a Springer Spaniel, he was beautiful and looked like a small version of a black Newfoundland. He died when I was 16 and had been my best friend whilst I was growing up. I then got my first Irish Setter, (Jasper), and, although I had thought about showing him, he was a monorchid so just remained my loving pet until he died aged 10. I didn't start showing until I got my first English Setter, Harvey in 1992, following Jaspers death.

I suppose then, my interest in dogs started in 1964 but showing wise in 1992.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2006, 12:04 PM
My first memory of "being into dogs" would be when I was five. We had a wee collie x called Judy. She slept on the end of my bed and followed me pretty much everywhere. Can't remember ever being without a dog or dogs ever since. That would have been ... yikes 1971 or there abouts.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 12:05 PM
mum had a dog before i was born - i grew up with him (kinda) he hated me cos when i was little i usd to poke him (lol) - poor thing!!

then i got nick when i was 8 - who was my mums dog (the old dog had died by this time - he had to be pts because he ate poison at a forest )

then the devil dog - my dog - sam(antha) - dont ask!

then in 2 days - Millie!!!!!!!! - she'll be with me for a long time (hopefully!)

id never be without dogs - they are to me like my horse - cant live without em cos my day would be empty and boring if they wernt around

would like to get a dalmation in a few years when i have my own place
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

02-12-2006, 12:50 PM
There were always dogs in the family, my grandparents always had one or two, and when I was 9 I got my first - it was pre vaccination days and he died of distemper when he was 4.He was followed at home by James, the result of an illicit relationship between my grandmother's 8 yr old lab bitch and a very determined collie. Then there was Atilla, and after him, more dobes, a BSD, A German Pinscher and finally my rescued and most adored Welsh Springer who had to be pts in Jan - Now no dogs, Just an empty space partially filled by a rescued cat who is very vocal and getting more dog -like every day. Kath
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 01:17 PM
I had dogs as family pets all my life, but when I was 13 (in 1970) I saved up £5.00 of my meagre pocket money and bought a Labrador bitch. Although I never showed her, she wasn't good enough, I did take her to ringcraft and we had loads of fun. I became a decent enough handler and a friend who was older than me, asked me to handle a Labrador dog she had bred and sold on. That was my introduction to the world of showdogs back in 1971. By 1973 I had bought my first Irish Setter which was my first showdog of my own.

Dawn R.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 01:33 PM
1964 our family bought our first dog, a white poodle called Pepe. he was 13 when he died, a couple of years later I started work and bought my very 'own' dog a lovely CKCS called Lady, she died at the age of 11, we had a few years without dogs when we had our 4 children, then 8 years ago we bought our Rosie and I haven't been without a dog since and hopefully I never will be now.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2006, 01:51 PM
We didn't actually have a family dog until I was around 10, so around 1979, I believe. Before that, my craving for all things dog (particularly larger ones) came from my Granddad who always had, and has to this day, large breeds, with doberman crosses and rottie crosses being particular favourites of his.

Our first family dog, however, was a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, which Dad really bought for Mum, but despite that, it was pretty much down to me to walk it, feed it, etc. He died after escaping and being whacked by the neighbour, from a brain haemorrhage.

Since I left home, in 1986 (or thereabouts) I've had a dog (with one five year gap) ever since, with, of course, a penchant for German Shepherds.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
My first memory of "being into dogs" would be when I was five. We had a wee collie x called Judy. She slept on the end of my bed and followed me pretty much everywhere. Can't remember ever being without a dog or dogs ever since. That would have been ... yikes 1971 or there abouts.
1971 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 just a twinkle in my fathers eye in 71 Ian,
guess I always loved animals, walked a few of the old folks dogs when I was young as I wasn't allowed my own dog, then I got my first horse at 14 and still no dog. I finaly got my first dog at 16 and have not been without one since, so 18 years as an owner and add 10 more for walking the neighbours dogs.

great post though when you think of the combined years of knowlage on the forum, its hardly surprising we need not go anywhere else for good advice, shona
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-12-2006, 02:04 PM
My parents got Tip - a rescue dog (Heinz 57) when I was about 4 years old.

Pretty much had dog/s constantly for 31 years since. Gulp.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 02:26 PM
I have always grown up with dogs and always loved them to bits, I honestly cant say a time when I wasnt a doggy lover!

I was without a dog of my own for 3 years, and not by choice, i couldnt have one where I lived, so thats the only time in my life I have been without a dog, and I doubt I will ever be without one again!

I much prefare dogs to children...

So my dog is my baby!
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »