Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-05-2010, 09:44 AM

Rescue poor in Turkey

Sent an e-mail last week to the animal welfare association in Bodrum as I am moving there soon & I wanted to enquire about rescueing a dog. Nine days later & still no reply. It's such a shame that in a country where there are so many abandoned dogs there seems to be no efficient help available.

I am sure the volenteers do there best but it seems such a shame that dogs may lose out for the sake of a little organisation.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Maybe they have no one to operate the system or no one who speaks English?
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-05-2010, 08:01 AM
You could be right but there website has both Turkish & English so you would think it should be ok.
I am just a bit disappointed as I would much prefer to rescue but as it would be my first dog I just wanted to find out as much as possible before I make up my mind. We have a cat so it will be difficult to get an older dog without knowing how it reacts to other animals.
That's the main reason I was hopeing to get some help with my choice.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Rescues in Greece, Turkey and Spain are desperately short of funds and very understaffed as their precious funding goes on the animals.
I know one Rescue in Greece that can get cut off for months in bad weather, with intermittent Internet access and only one full-time Volunteer (who does an amazing job).
Why not just pick up the phone and talk to them? Or wait till you get there and go along and see them?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Rescues in Greece, Turkey and Spain are desperately short of funds and very understaffed as their precious funding goes on the animals.
I know one Rescue in Greece that can get cut off for months in bad weather, with intermittent Internet access and only one full-time Volunteer (who does an amazing job).
Why not just pick up the phone and talk to them? Or wait till you get there and go along and see them?
Thats what i was going to suggest, wait until you go & then pop along to see them
imbat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Yes, I'll do that. I just wanted to be as prepared as possible & make sure that the rescue option was right for me & the dog.
Thanks for the suggestions
adya
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2011, 07:32 PM
If someone comes interested in adopting in Turkey,there is a good hearted rescue there call Let's dopt! (international registered rescue) They are fighting very hard to save animals there. No easy task. Not easy for citizens other than turk. But it will be a blessing if people adopted there.So much needed.As well as dogs from Romania,Kosovo,Greece Bosnia and Spain.Those from Romania are being killed by the hundreds and Gov is looking to eliminate them.A lot of suffering. If animal lovers can lend a hand, can be the difference between life or death.