View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 03:38 PM

Position of one ear seems to have changed??

Dexter has had recurring ear irritations for a year. I've changed his food and recently thought the problem had calmed down.

But yesterday he started shaking his head - a lot. He was doing it again this morning.

And now one ear seems to be sitting/hanging lower than the other one - if that makes sense? I'm definitely not imagining it because my OH says he can see it also.

Just wondered if any of you have encountered these symptoms/signs?

Many thanks for any responses
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 04:07 PM
If I remember correctly it can be a sign of an ear infection, so definately vet time. Could be dietary if he's snuck in something that doesn't quite agree with him, or environmental, e.g. grass seed in his ear or something, the vet will have the equipment to look properly without causing further problems.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post

And now one ear seems to be sitting/hanging lower than the other one - if that makes sense? I'm definitely not imagining it because my OH says he can see it also.
Yes, it makes sense, you're not imagining it! Like Krlyr says, it could well indicate some sort of ear problem, infection or foreign body. Looks like you're off to the vets... Good luck!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Yes, it makes sense, you're not imagining it! Like Krlyr says, it could well indicate some sort of ear problem, infection or foreign body. Looks like you're off to the vets... Good luck!

Many thanks
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
If I remember correctly it can be a sign of an ear infection, so definately vet time. Could be dietary if he's snuck in something that doesn't quite agree with him, or environmental, e.g. grass seed in his ear or something, the vet will have the equipment to look properly without causing further problems.

Many thanks indeed - I've just made the appointment with the vet for first thing tomorrow.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Glad to see that you have made an appointment with the vet, because ear problems can develop and be very painful indeed, with the symptoms escalating to the dog scraping his ear against the ground and becoming quite distressed.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on tomorrow.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Glad to see that you have made an appointment with the vet, because ear problems can develop and be very painful indeed, with the symptoms escalating to the dog scraping his ear against the ground and becoming quite distressed.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on tomorrow.

Thank you

Thankfully I was able to get an early morning appointment as cannot bear to see Dexter being uncomfortable like this
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 08:42 AM
How did you get on?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
How did you get on?

Hi MAJUKA

Dex had to have a shot of anti inflammatories - the vet said it would last a week...

He's also on ear drops twice daily and they seem quite strong, he's rather subdued today

Vet says it's either some form of allergy OR his ears are just a bit narrow and so creating nice environment for infection/irritation/etc

Am switching him to total raw diet this week so hoping that may help

Many thanks for asking - greatly appreciated
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 10:10 AM
The inflammation in and around the ear and the constant shaking could well make the ear "inflamed" and therefore thicker and heavier, thats perhaps why it would lie lower. It should go back to normal when he is better.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >