Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 10:39 PM

When dogs are put to sleep

Not a nice question to ask i know but i am asking on behalf of a friend

my friend has to have her dog put down as he has a tumour

over the last few days he has got alot worse

i went there tonight and i am going vets with them tomorrow

the owners have asked me to ask if anyone knows what happens to the dog after he has been put to sleep if they do not want the body

they are talking about burial, but just wanted to know and i said i would try to find out for them for the morning

thank you
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-06-2008, 10:46 PM
As far as I am aware, the vet can arrange for cremation, you'd have to ask him/her

Snorri
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Snorri but if they could not afford cremation as they do not have alot of money they are on IC
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I can only say what they do here Jackie and it's not nice really i'm afraid. I think the PDSA will cremate them for you though it isn't individual.

If the owners don't take the body they get taken away for a mass cremation with other animals such as homeless dogs/cats e.t.c. which have been pts and other animals from other vets which haven't been taken and they do a mass cremation, not a nice one, just put in a furnace with allsorts.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm Guessing they are still cremated even if the owner doesn't want the body/ashes returned to them.

Have they asked the vet if they can make an arrangement to pay in installments if they can't afford it in a one off payment?
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Thank you Random, i thought as much but did not want to say anything in case i was wrong

i think i will have to help out with money and do the right thing by the dog
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by jackiew View Post
Thank you Random, i thought as much but did not want to say anything in case i was wrong

i think i will have to help out with money and do the right thing by the dog
They are lucky to have you as a friend.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2008, 11:14 PM
It is a joint cremation - you only pay if you want individual cremation with the ashes returned to you. I think it was around £100 for a large dog.

I did collect our dog's ashes from a pet crematorium once and saw a lot of big plastic containers which looked like they contained lots of bags of ashes. I don't know what happens to them after that. It would be nice if they could afford to get the ashes back some how.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 11:25 PM
I paid about £140 for Morgie creamating and his ashes back in a nice casket, they even put is tag in a clear bag with a pressed flower and a sympathy card.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your friend's dog. It's not an easy ( or nice) subject to talk about , but in this area ,( Edinburgh & Lothians) , all animals which have been pts are collected from the vets surgeries and put in an incinerator at the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies. Once confirmed dead by the vet , the animal is stored in a freezer ( inside a black bin bag) , until the van comes to collect for incineration.
If you tell your vet that you want your pet cremated , they can organise the collection and return for you. Some pet crematoriums do a communal cremation , where several pets are cremated together, (the cheapest option). A small amount of the mixed ashes are scattered at the crematorium and the rest are disposed of. Individual cremations can be a simple cremation with the ashes scattered at the crematorium and a certificate of cremation sent to the owner , or you can have your pet's ashes returned to you in a scatter box , urn , or cask.
When my cat passed away , the pet crematorium collected her from my house , did an individual cremation , and returned her ashes to me the following day. I chose a carved wooden cat , curled up sleeping , as a casket for her ashes. This cost £119 plus £40 for the collection and return. A total of £159 and this was the most expensive option for a cat. Dogs are priced depending on size. The same company also cremates horses, which are also priced depending on size , the most expensive option being £595 for a 14hh pony.
I think you are very kind to offer to pay for your friend's dog to be cremated .
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »