View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Coconut oil is excellent, get it from the health shop with no additives (pure) another effective product is Aqueous Cream, I used it on Flower when she came to me covered in mange. Both are extremely effective for skin conditions.
I have never tried coconut oil as digested but I believe you can add a little to food.
reg7
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Coconut oil is excellent, get it from the health shop with no additives (pure) another effective product is Aqueous Cream, I used it on Flower when she came to me covered in mange. Both are extremely effective for skin conditions.
I have never tried coconut oil as digested but I believe you can add a little to food.
Thanks for that, the list of products is growing, got to be one or two in there to help our girl. reg7
reg7
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Coconut oil is excellent - as it can prohibit the growth of bacteria

It can be eaten as well - a great source of good fats.
Thanks for the info a great help. reg7
reg7
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Unfortunately many "pet" bred Westies have dreadful skin problems that are never cured. Pink feet, chewing paws, sore skin, "allergies" etc. are extremely common. They are never to my knowledge "cured," but are often managed. Your vet would be the best person to advise in my opinion.
Hi, yes I feel your right, no cure just management, but maybe one day for thier sake. reg7
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I have a 9 year old "pet" bred Westie with no skin problems at all. She has a beautiful coat too. She had a minor itch thing going on when she was about 3 but has been fine since due to a diet change.

I'm careful with what I bathe her with (Epi-Soothe), what I feed her and what I wash their bedding etc in as well.

I've posted on this very subject several times before, so have a search of the forum and you should find some of the things I do to keep my Westies skin in order, some of the suggestions might be of help to you.
I did say many not all! I can count on one hand the amount of non medicated Westies we board and we board hundreds a year. Usually on steroids and baths and often anti biotics too.
reg7
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Hi jenny.g, thanks for that lots of uses it seems reg7
reg7
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks Azz, seems like a good all round item. reg7
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2012, 04:40 PM
I feed both of my dogs coconut oil, it's solid, so I just add a lump to their food (start off with a teaspoon a day) and they gobble it up, they both love it.

I also eat it myself, and use it as a hair conditioner and skin cream.

Make sure you buy virgin cold pressed oil only.
reg7
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Hi scout75, thanks for that so many saying how good it is, reg7
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2012, 07:24 PM
My border terrier adores coconut oil but he only gets a quarter teaspoon a couple of times a week - for no other reason than he likes it and I do not believe it does him any harm. I have read articles extolling the virtues of giving CO to dogs for skin problems, so they are out there on the web (sorry I cannot remember the links at the mo)
I did use it topically when he had a sore spot and it seemed to soothe the skin too. It certainly works well on my skin when I have chapped hands or lips.
I think it is one of the healthiest of all oils

Regarding skin problems though, have you thought about eliminating all grains from your westie's food? There are grain free dog foods out there, or feed a balanced raw food diet ( grain free). Just a thought...
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >