View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Another thought. Could another dog be guarding the shared water bowl from her?
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 08:23 PM
If she likes fresh water what about getting one of those bowls that keep the water moving?
Something like this

Agree with other suggestions about putting more than one bowl in the pen too, as others could be guarding the bowl, or she may not like drinking out of slobbery water.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Just read the OP's post again and it does sound as if water is not available at all times. I do hope I'm wrong.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2011, 08:34 PM
This is an old thread btw guys... the new post is...

Originally Posted by Charlie'sMom View Post
I have the same problem with my own dog. However, it is a slightly different situation. She has access to her water bowl at all times, but when she goes to drink from it she drinks excessively, and quickly, then makes herself sick, but will go right back for the water afterwards. I have tried giving her a little, then letting her rest a bit, then giving her a bit more, however, I am not always home, and I don't want to take her water away while I'm gone, but I can't monitor the way she drinks it if I'm not there. Plus, when I take the water away, she whines and cries like crazy wanting more. I'm not really sure what to do, either.
Have you tried the stone idea that Minihaha suggested? That should hopefully slow her down when she is drinking... You might get more responses though if you start a new thread, coz some people will read the OP of this thread and miss yours.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2011, 05:48 PM
I really would run this by a vet to eliminate the possibility of diabetes/kidney problems etc.

Once given the all clear, then and only then look at possible solutions - a different type/style of water bowl, putting large, clean stones in the bowl so that water has to be lapped more slowly, giving her her own water bowl that is available at all times.

I do think that there's a good possibility that one of the other dogs is maybe giving 'keep off' signals that she is heeding then possibly making sure that she has more than her fill when given her own water to drink
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2