View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-12-2008, 06:14 PM

Maisy toilet training getting worse, any advice please?!

Maisy (now 15.5 weeks old) seems to be getting worse and worse, she is wee'ing in the garden when we take her, but then still wee'ing all over the kitchen, and now poo'ing inside, which she wasnt before. She is being praised and treated when she goes outside, and if we catch her at it inside, we say a firm but not aggressive 'ah ah' pick her up to finish it outside. Its driving me insane, as she seems to be getting no better at all. When we are in the house she is taken out every hour, but still does it inside as soon as our back is turned. I have to watch her like a hawk constantly. She still wont really toilet on walks, she has about 4 times in total.
Im limiting her water intake, and feeding at regular times. She must have about 10 wee's a day, is that normal?? Should I maybe get her checked out at the vets ??
If anyone has anymore advice it would be greatly appreciated, the house stinks, im spending all my spare time scrubbing the floor, I was so looking forward to being a dog owner again, and didnt have any of these problems with my staff, I just dont know what were doing wrong, she already knows how to sit, lie down, wait and give paw, so she is obviously clever, but with all this messing inside she is ruining our home
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Please never limit the water for a dog it can have a desperate effect on the dog.

She is still too young to be fully trained and at the same time her bladder is getting bigger and she is eating more so the stools will be more and larger. Dogs are able to control the bowels at around 3 to 5 months and the bladder takes longer and with bitches is often made worse by the first season.

Go back to the start and treat her as if she was an 8 week old puppy, lots of trips to the garden and lots of praise
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 06:27 PM
A vet check might be a good idea, maybe she has a wee infection.
Is this the sort of thing a dog would do to get attention? I don't know, it's so long since I had a pup, but I think they can be quite clever at drawing attention to themselves.
Good luck anyway, I'm sure someone will be along in a bit with some good advice.
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Please never limit the water for a dog it can have a desperate effect on the dog.

She is still to young to be fully trained and at the same time her bladder is getting bigger and she is eating more so the stools will be more and larger.

Go back to the start and treat her as if she was an 8 week old puppy, lots of trips to the garden and lots of praise
We are treating her like shes 8 weeks old, thats the problem, she doesnt seem to be catching on at all. When were in the house, she gets taken out in the garden every hour and we wait until she goes, sometimes as long as 20 minutes, then she gets loads of praise and a treat.
We have been doing the same thing since the day we got her, but she doesnt seem to understand
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Keep going some do not have full control until they are getting on for a year. Others are early but she will get there in the end.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-12-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't think weeing 10 times a day is excessive at her age. Some dogs do take longer than others to cotton on and then it just seems to click into place. I think under 20 weeks you should still expect accidents, just try limiting the rooms she has access to until she is trained. Mine only ever had access to the rooms with tiled floors otherwise it really does make life stressful. It sounds as if everything you're doing is right just try not to let it get you down. Maybe for weeing on walks have longer walks where you stand around or just pootle about with her. Mine always went out for at least an hour so weeing on a walk was never a problem they didn't hold it that long.
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I don't think weeing 10 times a day is excessive at her age. Some dogs do take longer than others to cotton on and then it just seems to click into place. I think under 20 weeks you should still expect accidents, just try limiting the rooms she has access to until she is trained. Mine only ever had access to the rooms with tiled floors otherwise it really does make life stressful. It sounds as if everything you're doing is right just try not to let it get you down. Maybe for weeing on walks have longer walks where you stand around or just pootle about with her. Mine always went out for at least an hour so weeing on a walk was never a problem they didn't hold it that long.
Thanks trouble, she is limited to the kitchen, but it still some how seems to be soaking into the lino tiles, the house smells when you walk in the front door and the kitchen is at the back! im such a clean freak, I have been scrubbing each tile individually, cant let her in the living room, as she would wee on the carpet! I take her out walking for around 15-20 mins as dont want to over excercise her, I tend to potter around the grassy areas with her for ages, but she just wont go, then the minute were back in the house, she goes out in the garden and does one straight away, or sometimes doesnt even make it to the back door Its just so frustrating im trying not to let it get me down, but cleaning the floor is taking up my life. Im missing out on all the enjoyable things of owning a puppy
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

22-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Have you tried cleaning it with vinegar although you could end up smelling like a chip shop . Vinegar is supposed to neutralise the urine.
Meg
Supervisor

22-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi Adele, it might be a good idea to take a urine sample to the vet and get it checked out just to eliminate the possibility of infection. Although dogs vary considerably at almost 16 weeks Maisy should be getting to the stage where she has a degree of bladder control.

As Pita says don't restrict water intake, doing this causes the urine to become concentrated and if there is a problem with the bladder restricting fluid can exacerbate the problem.

Other than that it is a case of being patient and consistent and continuing to take Maisy out, and praise her when she performs and eventually she will get the idea.

Added Adele I note from earlier posts you didn't get Maisy until she was 12 weeks and you have only had her for three weeks . During this time she had an episode of diarrhoea and vomiting . It is early days yet, it will have taken Maisy a couple of weeks to settle in her new home so don't expect too much too soon. Remember how long it takes to get a baby out of nappies, no one expects them to become clean instantly, puppies don't become clean overnight either it takes patience and consistency to train them.
Also try not to get upset and impatient with her, if you do she will pick upon it and may become reluctant to relieve herself in your presence and may even wait until you are not around.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Peat still has accidents he is 15 weeks if we dont watch him closely. He done one tonight in the kitchen It was like he had wee'd for england had to swim to the kitchen roll
Trouble is right, You can get white vinger in a spay bottle now.
Katie was doing it nearly until she was 1 as she had a really bad badder infection when we first got her but she didn't show any signs well that we noticed untill it was full blown infection bless her so then it took even longer for her to get it
Dori was great got it straight away. All dogs are different and you just have to keep trying it does get annoying as you think they are doing it on purpose but they aren't
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >