Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2006, 02:11 PM

HELP!!!!! Never cut nails before

Hi All,

I am thinking about attempting to clip my puppys nails and am slightly worried about it. I've seen threads about a dremal and pictures about how to clip nails but wonder if i could use my electric nail file or if this would be useless against thick nails
I am so worried about hurting him, although he loves it when you stroke his paws
Any ideas
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Do they really need trimming if he is only a puppy? You have to be careful not to cut through the quick which is seen easily if your puppy has white nails but not so easy if they are darker. I would leave it to the vets or a groomer or something. I cut my guinea pigs nails once and it bled for ages and I was really careful too
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 02:17 PM
yes, walk him on the road for a few days, that will file them down...

if you are not sure get a vet to show you first, or if the nails are all black ask a vet.

If they are clear or pink, shine a torch through them and you will see a red part in the middle, that is the quick, you don't want to cut that it's full of nerves and will bleed... before you get the clippers out, take the pup and touch the feet as if you were going to do it, just to make sure he won't squirm around. Maybe do this a few days before doing the real thing.
I wish you luck, but if your worried, go to a vet the first time.
I have never had to cut any of my dogs, except rescues who haven't walked on the pavements, as they get filed naturally by walking lots!
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2006, 02:23 PM
They are getting really long and starting to curl at the ends. He has a 20 minute walk on the pavement everyday but it doesnt seem to be doing anything

Also one of his teeth fell out today and another one is chipped and loose but there is a black spot on his gum where the loose one is. He is 4 months old, is this normal? :smt017 :smt100
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 02:27 PM
yes normal, stop worrying!

If they are starting to curl, you should go see a vet, they will show you how to do it, but i would still play with his feet in a mimic-ing way so he is ok for the vet doing it...
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks so much. I worry about any little thing, i'm a bag of nerves :smt090
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 02:32 PM
haha, just means your a good dog owner, and that's not a bad thing!

For teething pups I recommend a frozen kong, and a material tug toy frozen too, soothes sore gums
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks. He hasnt got a kong yet cos i've only just found out what one is
Do you know what one i should get for him? He is a JRT if that helps