Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 03:25 PM

What type of exercise?

Does anyone know of any sort of exercise that would be suitable for me to do, I can't do anything strenuous that would leave me breathless, due to lung problems, so aerobics or cycling is out of the question, even walking is difficult, but I'm about to start my diet and feel the need to try some sort of exercise to complement it, if anyone knows of anything gentle that I could maybe try, I'd be very grateful
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

10-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I can't spell it but isn't Tai Chi meant to be good low impact exercise (but you'd need to find a class). My Mum does pilates.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Have you thought about swimming? You can make it as easy or as strenuous as you like and it is meant to be good for asthmatics, though not sure on the specifics in your case.

Mind you having a local pool is helpful and not everyone has one...
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2008, 03:34 PM
I have a similar problem, in that my disability has meant I have to be more creative with exercise.

I attended a hydrotherapy session twice a week until work made it very difficult for me to take the time out of my working hours to go (it was a set session twice a week, so not like I could request to go after/before work). I found gentle stretching exercises in the water, sometimes using floats, was a much better work out than I had thought it could be, without causing too much pain and breathlessness. I intend to get back into this over the Spring and Summer, but in my own time, at a local swimming pool.

Horse riding has been my main form of exercise for many years. However, I do find it painful and sometimes find that it makes me quite breathless, so it may not be a good one for you. It is however brilliant for core stability, and toning muscles.

Swiss exercise balls are supposed to be another good one for gently toning muscles without becoming short of breath. I know a girl with the same condition I have, and she works on her core stability muscles by balancing on her exercise ball when she is at the computer or watching TV. I'm sure google would probably bring up loads of exercises.

The other one I have looked at in a vague sort of way is callenetics, but again I am more focussed on exercises for people with back and joint pain rather than breathlessness, so I don't know how much difficulty it would cause you.

I hope you find something that suits you!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I can't spell it but isn't Tai Chi meant to be good low impact exercise (but you'd need to find a class). My Mum does pilates.
Thanks, I'll have a look into them

Originally Posted by Katrina342 View Post
Have you thought about swimming? You can make it as easy or as strenuous as you like and it is meant to be good for asthmatics, though not sure on the specifics in your case.

Mind you having a local pool is helpful and not everyone has one...
I think swimiming is out, I have Pulmonary Fibrosis and Systemic Scleroderma, and when my breath goes, I get dizzy and disorientated, and I think that could be quite dangerous in the water, although the though of a strapping life guard having to give me the kiss of life is quite appealing our local pool is about a 5 min drive from me, and if it wasn't for my lung problems about a 10 min walk, so I wish I could
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Sez & Amber View Post
I have a similar problem, in that my disability has meant I have to be more creative with exercise.

I attended a hydrotherapy session twice a week until work made it very difficult for me to take the time out of my working hours to go (it was a set session twice a week, so not like I could request to go after/before work). I found gentle stretching exercises in the water, sometimes using floats, was a much better work out than I had thought it could be, without causing too much pain and breathlessness. I intend to get back into this over the Spring and Summer, but in my own time, at a local swimming pool.

Horse riding has been my main form of exercise for many years. However, I do find it painful and sometimes find that it makes me quite breathless, so it may not be a good one for you. It is however brilliant for core stability, and toning muscles.

Swiss exercise balls are supposed to be another good one for gently toning muscles without becoming short of breath. I know a girl with the same condition I have, and she works on her core stability muscles by balancing on her exercise ball when she is at the computer or watching TV. I'm sure google would probably bring up loads of exercises.

The other one I have looked at in a vague sort of way is callenetics, but again I am more focussed on exercises for people with back and joint pain rather than breathlessness, so I don't know how much difficulty it would cause you.

I hope you find something that suits you!
Thank you I wish I could get back into horse riding, but I have Reynold sydrome as well, which affects the cirulation to my hands
Might have a look at the exercise ball, mind you I expect I'd end up having to fight Jack for that
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 04:38 PM
What about yoga or pilates?

I know that there are different types of yoga and you can normally just do what is appropriate for your own level in a class.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
What about yoga or pilates?

I know that there are different types of yoga and you can normally just do what is appropriate for your own level in a class.
That is what I would suggest as well
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2008, 05:37 PM
i'm gonna suggest yoga too

make sure you start with a therapy yoga group if you can as these classes are small and are targeted to individuals needs. There is an awful lot more to yoga than yummie mummies and their mats

good luck
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Dance Mats!! Fabulous fun
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >