View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I use all sorts of things as well. Depends on what type of training I'm doing.

I use cheese, cooked sausages/hotdog things, garlic sausage, cooked chiken/turkey, cold meats, baked liver, tuna flapjacks, liver cake. Occasonally I'll use thinks like Coaches. I always take them on walks with me.

Our trainer tells us to vary the treats from standard to very high value, sometimes depending on the grade of training and also so the dog doesn't get bored with the one treat even though it's still a high value treat. If you feed the same high value treat every time it's value can decrease, if you see what I mean.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I use a variety of treats such as carrots-satsumas (yes my dogs love them!), apple cut very small and tiny pieces of cheese or sausage. I have also got a book of recipes for home-made treats and you get a little tiny cutter with it that cuts out 20 tiny treats at a time so you can make about 400 treats from one recipe so they last ages and I like them too!

I have to admit I usually eat the cheese at training classes as I am hungry as usually have my tea when I get back home. Parker does look at me a bit quizzically as if to say "Why are you eating my treats!"
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I use a variety of treats such as carrots-satsumas (yes my dogs love them!), apple cut very small and tiny pieces of cheese or sausage. I have also got a book of recipes for home-made treats and you get a little tiny cutter with it that cuts out 20 tiny treats at a time so you can make about 400 treats from one recipe so they last ages and I like them too!
I have to admit I usually eat the cheese at training classes as I am hungry as usually have my tea when I get back home. Parker does look at me a bit quizzically as if to say "Why are you eating my treats!"
Oh they sound good! Can you tell me the book name, please?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Oh they sound good! Can you tell me the book name, please?
It is actually a cat treat book! The ingredients are all human-grade for the recipes so are ok for dogs too. You get a fish shaped cookie-cutter with it that cuts out 20 small square treats at a time. It is called MacPherson's Natural Cookbook-easy to make cat treat recipes. ISBN number - 0-9682885-3-7.

I bought it from a charity shop for 50p! It was supposed to be for my niece who has cats but when I read it I kept it (sorry Sara!). It has a picture on the back cover of the chief tester of the treats which is a hugely obese moggie but don't let that put you off.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2010, 04:31 PM
it looks like a great wee book, i have just found that they also do a k-9 cookbook its on amazon i may buy one of each, when i can
Tressa
New Member!
Female 

07-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
I buy liver when I see it reduced in the supermarket then just bake it in the oven for 15-20 mins. You can cut it into very small pieces, it holds together well, I keep out what I need and freeze the rest.

I've never met a dog that didn't love it!

J.
I also put garlic in my 'liver cake' - a bit stinky but Teddy will do anything for it so it is worth the pong.
JazzMan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
I also put garlic in my 'liver cake' - a bit stinky but Teddy will do anything for it so it is worth the pong.
The pongier the better!

Fish4Dogs Training Stars always go down well, quite healthy for a manufactured treat and reasonably priced. They are very small and don't break up, so perfect for a treat bag.

I use cheese cubes, hot dogs, bits of sliced ham, basically anything left over in the fridge. I have even used rice crispies and cheerio's (watch the sugar!).

Varying the treat is always a good idea, even in the same session. There is nothing to stop you having a mix of items in your bag at the same time, that way pooch will always work enthusiastically in the hope of bagging his favourite (and they all have favourites don't they?) and if you know what that fave is, it makes an excellent jackpot tool.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Talking pongy someone once gave me a recipe for tripe cake, honest the thought of green tripe cooking......................
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 07:22 AM
This may be a stupid person but to a person completely new to dogs, do you have to 'cook' the frankfurter treats or can they be used straight from the pack? thanks
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 08:24 AM
I just drain them and use them,some folks wash them, but mine arnt as interested if you wash them
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >