Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nooblord
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-04-2012, 03:10 PM

10 weeks old puppy and separation

Hello Dogsey, the missus and I adopted a Collie x Australian shepherd mix on Sunday. She has been a great puppy so far as she has no accidents over night and usually only 1 if I dont see that she has woken up from a nap. The only issues we are having is that we live in a apartment complex and we don't want to get evicted because of her whining when alone. I understand she is still a baby and misses her siblings but what can we do to minimize the crying at night and when we run errands? I go to school online so I spend all day at home but we do have to run errands sometimes and yesterday when we left she cried for the whole hour we were gone. Since sunday the first time I slept was 45 minute nap today because if she can't see me she'll start crying and screaming and now she figured out how to bark and howl Any help or ideas on what I should do so she will stay alone for an hour or so and not wake up the whole complex would be MUCH appriciated! thanks!
STGSD
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Go back to basics, make time to go out for a few mins, and gradually build up the time you are gone. Leave her with a safe treat, a stuffed kong or somet. Don't let her follow you around the apartment all the time, go and have a bath and leave her in a different room etc. Try to only go back to her when she is quite so she doesn't relate barking/whining to you coming back to her. When you leave her, leave calmly, and no goodbye cuddles etc. When you return to her, ignore her until she has calmed down. Good luck, it is early days, she will settle in time!
Suzanne2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Good advice from STGSD! Could also try recording your voice and keeping it playing, or the radio, also the calming diffusers are supposed to work, but are expensive. Leave something with your smell on it, like a T- shirt is another suggestion. Do lots of quick ins and outs, where it looks like you have gone, but a few seconds later you come back. Also pick up keys, phone etc in advance and pocket them quietly, because they are aware of all the little things we do before we leave. Good luck!
Nooblord
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the tips! I started doing the quick ins and outs with her today and we're at a whole 10 seconds before she cries lol This will be a long battle haha
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Nooblord View Post
Thanks for the tips! I started doing the quick ins and outs with her today and we're at a whole 10 seconds before she cries lol This will be a long battle haha
stick with it, you'll get there

do you leave her in a crate? might be a good idea to do so and cover the crate with throws / covers to help her feel more secure. i would also use the calming diffusers and stuffed kongs when going out

the stuffed kongs / bones are good as the pup is being fed as you leave, i.e. a positive association with you leaving

in general ignore the whining and give attention / play when it stops, the pup will learn to assocaite being quiet with attention and reward

have you read any of the puppy books?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Can you give us a run down of your pup's usual day?

This little article is quite useful:

http://www.examiner.com/dogs-in-los-...-know-part-two

The idea really is to get your dog to enjoy being alone and to almost look forward to it. If you give stuffed kongs, and other chews (safe chews of course) the action of chewing not only prevents boredom but is calming in itself and helps the pup to learn to relax.

Whatever you do, take it slowly. You will be glad you did, so as to provide good secure foundations for the future

Also, find a reputable, good puppy class. You will find lots of help from a good dog trainer.

Try www.puppyschool.co.uk or www.apdt.co.uk for one near to you.

I personally don't use crates much. I do use them for safety and in case they are ever needed, but tend to prefer puppy proofing a room rather than crating.

Wys
x
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2012, 10:17 AM
I think puppy is testing you. If you've only had 45 minutes sleep, maybe its working. Agree with above and go back to basics.

You can always try playing with her, mental stimulation, tricks etc to really tire her out. Then a nice bear/blanket she can snuggle with, and feel safe with...maybe a heat up toy and settle her down in the crate. If she knows your not coming to see her when she cries, she'll soon get the hang of it.

I know its hard as you don't want to get evicted. Maybe you could pop a note in through your neighbors door just explaining. Maybe buy them some ear plugs as a peace offering xxx
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by BeagleBella View Post
I know its hard as you don't want to get evicted. Maybe you could pop a note in through your neighbors door just explaining. Maybe buy them some ear plugs as a peace offering xxx
However you solve it, this ^^ is a good idea. Make sure your neighbours etc know what you're doing, and that you're not doing it 'on purpose' or neglecting to deal with the problem. A bottle of wine, or box of chocs might also go some way to soothing irate neighbours