Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cooperk
New Member!
Female 

11-09-2009, 03:26 PM

Zeus's weaking back legs

My 12 year old staff collie X has suffered with athritis for over a year, all of a sudden his back legs have become wobbly and he is walking as though he is drunk. He is on cartrophen injections, rimadyl and glycoflex. Does anyone know what he is suffering from and is there anything i can do for him? He is not in pain. The vet says there is nothing else he can do!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Sorry cooperk I can't offer any advice, he improves soon.
Have you thought of getting another vets opinion?
cooperk
New Member!
Female 

11-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Going back to the vets on Wednesday for Zeus's final cartrophen injection. I was too emotional to push or question vet this week. Have started writing a list of questions to ask. Just hope the tears will be dry by then!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Poor you
A list of questions is the way to go. You need an explanation
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi there.

I don't know for certain that this is the cause in Zeus's case, but it is not uncommon for dogs to suffer muscle waste when they have arthritis.

My old bc Kip got quite wobbly on his back legs. I started to take him to hydrotherapy and he was on metacam - it did make a huge difference, I just wish that I had started the hydrotherapy earlier as I think the muscle wastage would have been less.

I can't say it will definitely work for your boy, but I would definitely suggest that you give it a try.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Spondylosis (not spondylosis deformans BTW - that`s different) is arthritis of the spine. As the vertebrae grow little calcium deposits (spurs) it can affect the nerves and tissue round it, causing pain and nerve damage or inflamation.
My pointer developed this age 6 and is now 15. He is on metacam and supplements for joints, and seems to manage. I found that acupuncture helped. So did gentle excercise, soft beds and not letting him get cold.
If this is what`s affecting your dog, your vet is doing all the right things. You could try acupuncture.
The only way to diagnose it for sure is an x-ray of the spine. Because the treatment is just the same as for arthritis anywhere else though there isn`t much point.
I hope your dog improves.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2009, 08:04 PM
My last boy (now sadly gone) had muscle wastage with his arthritis. He went very wobbly on his back legs, bless him. I also wish I had tried hydrotherapy and I would recommend you try it. He was on drugs for his arthritis but I do think the hydrotherapy would have helped if I had started early enough.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2009, 08:41 PM
hi,
i agree with others re hydrotherapy,having had a dog with spinal problems and from the point of view that i was a hydro-therapist.
acupuncture is also worth a try.
it does sound to me that he may have a form of cdrm (chronic degenerative radiculomyelopathy) as well.
as well as he drugs he is on you could also try high levels of vitamin e and l-carnitine combined with the above therapies.
i wish you both well.
BrightPaws
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Hello
i work as a massage therapist and physio for dogs and would highly recommend hydrotherapy. I also strongly recommend magnetic collars, I supply these to all my customers who have similar problems and the difference is quite remarkable .. i wear a magnet myself and all my dogs whether they have problems or not wear them .. ive seen arthritic dogs get an amazing improvement within days of wearing a collar ... PM me if you want more details xx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by BrightPaws View Post
Hello
i work as a massage therapist and physio for dogs and would highly recommend hydrotherapy. I also strongly recommend magnetic collars, I supply these to all my customers who have similar problems and the difference is quite remarkable .. i wear a magnet myself and all my dogs whether they have problems or not wear them .. ive seen arthritic dogs get an amazing improvement within days of wearing a collar ... PM me if you want more details xx
hi,
cool!! does that mean you are a human physio? as to treat animals you have to of been one before you can practise?
look forward to chats!.x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >