Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 03:13 PM

`End Stage` arthritis, says the vet.

Bran my rescued Greek hound has had arthritis for years, and it is managed with Metacam and supplements. Lately he has been having spasms and falling over a lot. I took him to the vet today and she said it was a reaction to the pain and he was `end stage`. I assume she means there is nothing more they can do.
So he`s going on to light duties and pampering like my other Oldie, but he is the bosom buddy of my disabled son, who is understandably upset.
If anyone has any suggestions for making his life more comfortable, please let us know
thanks
this is him helping demolish a cream tea a couple of weeks ago
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Awww im so sorry to hear that. I have no suggestions about making life comfortable but i would assume lots and lots of love at this time. How old is your son? Does he understand what will happen eventually. Sounds as if there very close
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 04:09 PM
No real advice hun, Reah has all sorts of padded cushions and such likes as we we're told not to let her lie on the floor.....which you obviously know already.

But just wanted to send ((((((((((Hugs))))))))))
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Magnetic collar? I know a couple of people with oldies who swear by them.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-08-2009, 05:07 PM
No advice really just sorry to hear about your problem.

Ollie's breeder uses forever Freedom aloe vera gel for her oldies and I use it for ollie as he has a bit of a limp but not sure if it would help at this stage.

(((Hugs))).
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks all. I`ll give the magnetic collar a go - any particular sort? Are they all the same? Will it wipe my hard drive if he sits too close? (just joking on the last query)
My son will have to get used to taking Shamus for a walk instead. They suit each other as they`re both away with the fairies half the time! (In response to your query - he`s all growed up but has severe mental health problems and I`m his f/t carer. )
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 05:31 PM
i love golden oldies
if it hasnt been mentioned accupuncture and hydrotherapy would do no harm if he would tolerate it
i wish him all the best and im sure he's gonna 'milk' all the extra attention hes gonna get!! (quite rightly!)
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2009, 05:33 PM
One of my labs ended up like this. Vet told us to give him support when he was laying down and we used a blow up bed for him. It seemed to keep him comfortable. He was on the same drug as your boy. He didn't go far atal in the end and he seemed to appreciate the bed. Poor boy, he was so lovely, we miss him. I would guess you know all about the support when laying down etc. We didn't, had to rely on the vet to help us, wish I had known about this forum then.
tricollieowner
New Member!
Female 

05-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Our oldest dog has similar issues. He has been through all the different anti-inflamatory medications and has now got to the stage that none of them seem to work any more. He has now been prescribed tramadol (a synthetic opiate) and steroids by our vet and we hope that it alleviates the pain. He has also had accupuncture many times , but whether it helps, we are not sure, but we do our best to help him. The vet also advised glucosamine and chondrotin (about 3 times the human dosage) for his joints. We have had the sad news from the vet that he will will be surprised if the old fellow makes it to Christmas, so I know how you feel.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Can't give you any advice I'm afraid but wanted to send you all hugs.
Hope you find something that works soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >