Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
flatties are reknowned for eating poop...they're lurvely!!!!
well that's something I didn't know I reckon my boy was a honorary Flattie when he was a pup...lol Keena at least had the sense not to eat her own or any other dogs but Kody on the other hand, I would have to be out there soon as he did the deed or I definitely wouldn't have wanted to have the Kody kisses that he insists on
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
well that's something I didn't know I reckon my boy was a honorary Flattie when he was a pup...lol Keena at least had the sense not to eat her own or any other dogs but Kody on the other hand, I would have to be out there soon as he did the deed or I definitely wouldn't have wanted to have the Kody kisses that he insists on
*slightly off topic here...*
The best was when he ate a fresh one and came in and vomited it back up.... :smt078 :smt078 :smt078 :smt078 :smt078 :smt078 :smt078
NOT GOOD!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Mine too! Glossy coats, perfect teeth (according to my vet 2 weeks ago anyway!) and both in perfect health apart from their inherited conditions!

Mine are fed kibble only too, we recently had a visit from one of our previous pups, who is on a raw diet....to be honest I thought she looked skinny and her coat was dreadful, she's been on a raw diet for 18 months now and her owners are happy with the way she is.....I wouldn't be happy if she was my dog.

My oldest dog is Rosie, she's nearly 8, she has a lovely coat, never had to have her teeth cleaned and she has never been ill.

So I'm happy with dry kibble too.

Do you know that 'human waste' is actually turned into fertilizer?
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
Perhaps that's another factor you've hit on there mys and Pod mentioned (was it on this thread or the other one?) about where the dogs are from? I have a BC and a BC cross...perhaps used to an entirely different diet in the past than Northern breeds...a very interesting point there!
Yes, wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the northern breeds coped better on a raw fish & meat diet than others.

Not including my own breed, Finnish Lapphunds here though. They're descended from the Lapland herder dogs, said to have been fed on a diet of mainly rye cereal cooked with reindeer blood.

I have found that if the cereal content in their diet is reduced too much, the coat quality suffers. This is something I often hear mentioned by raw feeders.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 01:57 PM
This report makes me very pleased I feed my beloved dog the barf diet.

What they use in these dog foods is disgusting... especially when you think what content of the food actually is and the price they charge for it.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Yes, wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the northern breeds coped better on a raw fish & meat diet than others.

Not including my own breed, Finnish Lapphunds here though. They're descended from the Lapland herder dogs, said to have been fed on a diet of mainly rye cereal cooked with reindeer blood.

I have found that if the cereal content in their diet is reduced too much, the coat quality suffers. This is something I often hear mentioned by raw feeders.
That is interesting Pod, and I will take note...

"There seems to be a lot of snobbery about feeding a 'raw' diet."
I am sorry you feel that. I don't want to come across as 'snobbery' proud, but not a snob... I think you also sounded proud when you mentioned your entirely happy with your preferred kibble, which is a good thing. We need to be proud about what we do, and be able to justify it rightly.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 02:15 PM
"Do you know that 'human waste' is actually turned into fertilizer?"

I don't gettit, interesting, but what has it got to do with feeding?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by kyektulu View Post
This report makes me very pleased I feed my beloved dog the barf diet.

What they use in these dog foods is disgusting... especially when you think what content of the food actually is and the price they charge for it.
Maybe you are right on this with some supermarket only brands or cheaper kibble. However, I am of the opinion that multi million pound organisations, such as Royal Canin, who do nothing else but produce good quality dog food, with nutritionalists, scientists, vet, chemists and the like all to hand, stoop to putting the sweepings off the floor into their dog food, oh, and not forgetting to throw in a few vitamins!!! It is beyond their reputation to produce anything other than a good quality food, plus years of research having gone into the contents, for the health benefits of my dog. You have to remember that Companies such as these,work on strict guidlines in the production of their dried food, same as for us humans, in fact it has been said many a time, that these rules are tighter than our own health rules for our food!! It would be incomprehensable for them to do otherwise imo, there's too much at risk. Yes, I do pay a lot for my prescribed kibble (£57 per 15kg. bag), but this is because it's the only food one of my dogs can eat due to her inherited condition, so I know it is the right food for her, it never upsets her, it keeps weight on her (there goes your theory Mys. coz if she were to eat normal food, she would be skin and bone just like she was, and you can't tell me she's living on vitamins to do that!!!!)and her coat is now silky, thick and glossy once more - so it's right for her! I would much rather spend extra money to keep my dogs on a food my vet has recommended than give them a £3 raw chicken from Sainsbury's, which quite honestly I wouldn't even eat myself! Now, if you're feeding Marks & Spencer chicken wings I might think diferently on that!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Royal Canin is owned by Mars, with the mulit million 'reputation' of owning pedigree chum. Nuff said me thinks
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Prove it!!!!!
Page 5 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »