Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 11:47 PM

Kibble Facts ! Things you should know !

Just thought you may be interested to know how many chemicals there are in so called premium dry dog foods !

http://www.api4animals.org/facts?p=359&more=1cat=286

Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 08:45 AM
have you seen the chemicals in human food Malady?
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 11:30 AM
that's not all.... Catherine from Canine Health Concern went on a trip around Britain to find out where the top pet food companies source their 'foods'.

Here are two of the finest examples:
Supermarkets, you know all the waste foods, that they can't sell at the end of the day? They all get put into a large skip and carried off... sound fine? You know the cellophane and cardboard most things are packaged in? None of that is removed, that would cost time and money, and the pet companies want the MOST profit. No joke.

The dockyards.
See saw fish coming in, and the heads and tails and insides all get chucked in a big skip, due to go to the pet food companies. Sound good? The workers lunch, and cigarrete ends also end up in there.
Again there is no separation.

Now don't go and throw out your kibble just yet. The stuff is all cooked in a ginormous vat to 350 degrees C killing anything that is bad (and good) and it comes out, free of water and cooled and then made into a powder. Then through the process of extrusion it is blown up into the kibble bits you all know and love. It is virtually cardboard. It is then sprayed with oils and fats so that the dogs think it is tasty and will eat it.

Note on oils and fats.
to everyone who feeds a natural diet, you will know the importance of keeping your oils in a dark and cool environment. Guess where the oils and fats are collected from for the pet food industry, restaurants. Yup USED restaurant grease, sat outside in drums with no care for their temp. or condition. Worst of all cooked oils are carcinogenic....
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Do we have a "vomit" smiley?
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 11:36 AM
like this

:smt078

Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 11:38 AM
A few years ago I had the uncomfortable experience of seeing where and how the food destined for the pet raw food trade was dealt with & it put me off ever feeding raw pet food again, so I guess all food pet or human has additives we think are unnecessary or harmful but are we in a position to judge?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Well I guess I just trust in DEFRA registered pet food companies to provide decent food..
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
have you seen the chemicals in human food Malady?
have to agree we wouldn't eat 99% of what we eat if we knew
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
A few years ago I had the uncomfortable experience of seeing where and how the food destined for the pet raw food trade was dealt with & it put me off ever feeding raw pet food again, so I guess all food pet or human has additives we think are unnecessary or harmful but are we in a position to judge?
This is why everything my dogs get is from the butchers wholesaler and is the same that is sold for humans.

I agree that human food is also loaded with rubbish too, that's why I try to look at lables and choose food less rubbishy, as for my dogs, with what they get it is probably better than what I eat so I don't worry about them too much anymore

The only way to go would be 100% organic and we can't afford to, so we do our best for both us and the dogs by avoiding as much chemicals etc as possible
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:00 PM
i'm a vegetarian.
I'm a veggie because of the slaughtering process, i would be happy to eat organic meat if i knew how it had been slaughtered.
I know people who have visited and worked in slaughter houses...so I don't eat meat.

My point?
We all eat things that are 'unsound' or heavily processed, it's all part and parcel of modern day life. The same is true of any food we give our dogs.

My dogs are fed on good qwuality kibble and the are happy, healthy, bright and alert. Their teeth are in fantastic condition and their eyes sparkle. No-one can believe their ages when they meet them, in fact the vet has said the Biffters ould pass as a dog half his age...not bad for a 10 and a half year old fed on 'cardboard'.

IF kibble is SO bad, if kibble has nothing but c**p in it...and it's a BIG if...then how come so many dogs that are fed on it look well, are active and in excellent condition?????
I know of NO dogs that are fed on a high quality kibble diet that are suffering from diet induced health or bahaviour problems...not one.

What we feed our dogs is a personal choice. All food in this day and age is full of c**p...chemicals and pollutants are everywhere, just a trip home from the supermarket can cover your dinner in rubbish...lets not pretend otherwise.

Please don't assume that kibble is c**p because it isn't. My dogs and thousands of others prove that and in all honesty I'm getting a bit fed up of being made to feel like a second class owner because I don't feed raw. Anyone is welcome to meet my guys and inspect them and have a look at their vet records...they are in great nick and I am happy with their diet..and so,judging by the way they eat it...are they.

Apologies. Rant over.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »