Male 

11-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks I will start looking. Thanks
David
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Acana cannot be found in America people! It is a UK brand. Ol Roy is horrid, we keep it to feed strays. My mom was feeding a no name brand to jade and she gained weight and her hair got dry and sheddy. She is now on Purina smart blends, not a great food at all, but she's been great on it for like two years now. Costlier food does not mean healthier dog. My last dog lived to over 15 and was fit and slim until the very end and ate nothing but pedigree chicken canned food for over 8 years. If my big potato head Nigredo wasn't all allergic, he'd not eat pricier food probably, either.
MGB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Acana cannot be found in America people! It is a UK brand.
Actually i believe its a Canadian brand.. its made right in Alberta Canada. And it CAN be bought in the US both in select pet stores or ordered online
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
Actually i believe its a Canadian brand.. its made right in Alberta Canada. And it CAN be bought in the US both in select pet stores or ordered online
I sometimes feed Acana to my dogs and it's obtainable in most European countries and also in the UK.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2014, 02:30 PM
I've notice since jakes been on rice fish and Turkey he poops a lot less. Just goes to show what's in a lot of so called dog kibble.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
It cannot be found in any normal pet stores, no specialty stores sell it here either. It can be found online, sure. Costs a lot to ship. Also, I saw the food for $50 for only a 15lb bag before shipping was added. Way too expensive, unrealistically so for most large breed owners. I don't think people from the UK pay that much for it, goodness!
MGB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Yes Acana is absolutely expensive.. Im not refuting that statement. With my three dogs (1 Large breed, 2 small) I pay around $300+ a month on food, and I live IN Canada so it does not have to be shipped or ordered online to get to me. I absolutely understand cost can be tough.. Im just saying sometimes if its financially possible.. getting the best for our fur-babies is more then worth the extra cost.
Also.. Yes its most definitely available in the UK, among many other countries around the world (including the US). However it is Produced and made in Alberta, Canada.
http://www.acana.com/
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Over 300 a month on dog food. Gosh, it must be nice to be that rich. But seriously it's great that you can afford that. We must live practically, and there's no way we can even come close to that. So I never even think of recommending foods that costly. If someone recommended that food to me, I'd laugh. I can't afford that much on my own family's food bill.
MGB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Over 300 a month on dog food. Gosh, it must be nice to be that rich. But seriously it's great that you can afford that. We must live practically, and there's no way we can even come close to that. So I never even think of recommending foods that costly. If someone recommended that food to me, I'd laugh. I can't afford that much on my own family's food bill.
Most definitely NOT rich haha.. I wish. My man and I just work hard (and a little extra) to be able to give our dogs the best. That's all. Again I completely understand being practical and also very WELL understand having absolutely NO extra cash for anything. Nothing that was said was supposed to be offensive in any way..
Its just my own personal opinion that if you are going to get a dog (or more then one) you should be able to afford to provide them with the best food and medical care etc. Of course there are circumstances that can inhibit that.. but yes that's just my own opinion.
I didn't think a good food recommendation (regardless of price) was laughable.. I would imagine MOST people would not be paying as much as I am.. as mentioned I have a 180lb English Mastiff.. that boy goes thru food pretty darn quickly haha. A `normal` sized dog would be much cheaper
I should also mention Acana has a loyalty program.. buy 10 (or 12.. I don't remember) bags and receive a free one! Always a nice bonus when you get that free bag.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-12-2014, 01:09 AM
Do you have a slaughter house near you? yes i know it is not where you would expect to get dog food. Some reject say chicken as they are not good enough for human consumption but ok as pet food.

We had a supplier for our kennels that did chicken- tripe-beef etc minced up in 1 or5 lb bags. This was far cheaper than shop bought food.

Worth a thought and the meat was fresh
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >