Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
yukki1972
New Member!
Female 

05-07-2012, 09:19 AM

Natural dog foods

Looking for advice regarding dog food for my lab pup, he is currently on eukanuba large breed puppy food which he was being fed by the breeder. There is so many brands that say they are natural but what would people recommend.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Fish4dogs i believe is natural, my dog loves it.
Chemist direct do it for £35 instead of £55 on the website.

Orijen, very expensive but good - my dog hated it

The natural dog food company - don't know much about them

Other good brands:
Burns, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved, Wainwrights (Pets at home version of James), Barking heads.

I'm sure others will add to the list.
In foods you want meat to be the top ingredient, no cereals i.e. wheat. Maize is also a filler and is in Arden Grange but meat and rice has a higher quantity.
No derivatives and preferably 100% of ingredients labelled, f4d used to label all of them but i've noticed it's been taken down.
I highly recommend f4d or JWB though
Shangri-La
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Have you thought about a BARF diet ( raw meat and bones)
There are lots of pro for this kind of diet
Dogs are designed to eat raw food, it what their teeth and digestive systems
Are meant for, and they thrive on it, Benefits include a glossy coat, healthy skin,
lean muscle tone, robust immune system, sweet smelling breath, healthy teeth and gums,
Increased energy, better digestion, stronger heart, and greater vitality.
Dogs eating raw food diet can be expected to live longer and to suffer less illness and disease.
PROCESSED DOG FOOD
Take the fibre that gets added, in most cases this takes the form of peanut hulls, almond shells, empty grain hulls, beet pulp and so forth, none of these things offers any nutritional value to dogs.
Then the chemicals. Chemicals to preserve it, to alter the smell, change the colour,
chemicals to bind it so it looks like chunks or meat or little dried shapes.
As to fat these are usually of poor quality and could be recycled from deep fryers in restaurants.
What of the grain element? There is a reason why one rarely sees a dog stalking a wheat or rice field.
Dogs find it tricky to process complex carbohydrates (grains) they cant store them like humans can
Just something to think about ....
It is not as hard as you may think to start to barf feed your dog... there are lots of company’s
That make it all up for you Like Darlings real dog food
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&rlz=1...w=1130&bih=578
they grinned the bone up into very very small parts so as a puppy can manage it
or you can be a little braver and make your own with bigger pieces of bone.
http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/
There are lots of book out there to help you like raw dog food making it work for you and your dog
By kymythy schultzz
The food needs to be 80% meat 10% of the total diet to be pure bone 10% of the total diet should be offal, liver or kidney
The percentages are just a rough guide.. you should feed 2% of the dog ideal body weight for an Adult dog, and then just add to it if your dog starts to lose weight up to maybe 3% see how that goes
I would think the ear problems would be a thing of the past on raw food
top quality kibbles and referred to the benefit of feeding grain-free food. are Taste of the Wild, Orijen, Acana
Beth95
New Member!
Female 

20-04-2015, 03:52 PM
I'd recommend the natural dog food company that is listed above. Go on their website they have tonnes of info on there