Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sorry pidge who told you your dog looked awful, the coat is ruined is factual , its not a personal opinion of what some may feel, but as Dawn said, its ok for you to voice your opinion on Show type springer's (not being true springer's) but then get all hissy when you are told castration ruins a coat.

It is not a statement that breeders/showers cling to its a fact,that when you take way essential hormones , something is going to suffer, and one of those things will be the coat.. the reason woody has started to develop a woolly coat is because he has an hormone imbalance, stripping the essential oils from his coat..oils that he needs to keep his coat waterproof..

I am not saying you should not have had him done, but as you have said yourself , your reasons have not worked, in fact you say they have gotten worse.

These issues where and are behavioral, not hormonal, (as you where advised at the time)

No coat change is not always down to castration, but as you have said yourself in this thread, woody's is.. and the future care of the coat will only be cosmetic, and will probably get worse as he get older, the more woolly his coat gets , the less protection he will have against wet weather or water.
This is not always the case though - with proper care - the coat can be maintained to look fantastic. Or else the ones my boss did in Norfolk were all just the exception....(and my gosh did we do a lot!)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
This is not always the case though - with proper care - the coat can be maintained to look fantastic. Or else the ones my boss did in Norfolk were all just the exception....(and my gosh did we do a lot!)
Looking fantastic and being a functual protective coat are two different things. .
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Looking fantastic and being a functual protective coat are two different things. .
Living in Norfolk working as Gundogs they managed very well - they were not treated in any special way no coats etc...and the dogs were always fine.

You would not have known the difference between them and an entire one.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

01-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Living in Norfolk working as Gundogs they managed very well - they were not treated in any special way no coats etc...and the dogs were always fine.

You would not have known the difference between them and an entire one.
Sorry, thought you just said

Originally Posted by Tassle
This is not always the case though - with proper care - the coat can be maintained to look fantastic
So now your saying no care was taken to keep the coats looking fantasitc??
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Sorry, thought you just said

So now your saying no care was taken to keep the coats looking fantasitc??
No - I am saying that no extra precautions were taken to ensure the dogs well being (for example putting coats on the dogs as mentioned in my posts) - which I assume would have to happen if the dogs coat was no longer water resistant

The dogs were working gundogs for the most part who were dropped in the grooming parlour about once every 3 months - they were given a wash and the coat was stripped and trimmed (mainly around the feet)

I am sorry you misunderstood.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
So are you telling me that dogs will only ever have a hormone imbalance if they are or as a result of neutering? Erm, not sure it's necessary to be quite so bitchy.
bitchy? I was agreeing with something someone else said so that makes me bitchy?
As for watching the condition of a dogs coat? It's much more than aesthetics. To me it gives me an overall picture of my dogs health and condition,so I am pretty anal about their coats as their coats tell me a great deal.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 01:58 AM
Welshies are terrible when spayed they grow like sheep. In fact I've trimmed Molly nono (Hope for all those who remember my first ever litter). She was hairy all over and I had to hand strip her legs she was like a chicken.
I think it depends on the coat texture most of the breed with silky long coats like springers usually blow when spayed or castrated and get worse as they get older (in fact most coats get worse with age). I'd invest in a stripping knife if he'll let you.
Rips I can teach you how to hand strip in about an hour on a springer its easy if you have the right tools.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 04:18 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Welshies are terrible when spayed they grow like sheep. In fact I've trimmed Molly nono (Hope for all those who remember my first ever litter). She was hairy all over and I had to hand strip her legs she was like a chicken.
I think it depends on the coat texture most of the breed with silky long coats like springers usually blow when spayed or castrated and get worse as they get older (in fact most coats get worse with age). I'd invest in a stripping knife if he'll let you.
Rips I can teach you how to hand strip in about an hour on a springer its easy if you have the right tools.
I strip Isla out every couple of weeks and she looks great on it, I do find it a bit of a chore mind you so any tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm at SKC and WELKs so we could meet up if you're going?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 05:58 AM
Pidge is it just his liver bits that have gone fluffy?? this seems to be the case in springers as it grows at different rates to the white, all mine are done and the only one that looks like a burst cushion is Millie, but that changed when she was on steroids for a while, i just use a 20 blade coat kking to pull out the dead bits
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-04-2010, 07:39 AM
No - I am saying that no extra precautions were taken to ensure the dogs well being (for example putting coats on the dogs as mentioned in my posts) - which I assume would have to happen if the dogs coat was no longer water resistant

What even when they are swimming ??

The dogs were working gundogs for the most part who were dropped in the grooming parlour about once every 3 months - they were given a wash and the coat was stripped and trimmed (mainly around the feet)

I am sorry you misunderstood.
Nope, did not misunderstand, you wrote conflicting posts, which made me think you changed your mind, from a blown coat needing extra care to it not needing it!!

Not sure why you brought "coats "into it, i.e man made! maybe you misunderstood my reference to

Looking fantastic and being a functional protective coat are two different things.
I was referring to their own coat, not man made ones.

A blown coat will no longer be water proof, aesthetically with a lot of care it can be kept in check, but you cant put back what has been lost.
Page 7 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »