Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 07:39 PM

arthritis/spondylitis

Is there anything I can do for my 7 year old Goldie. She has just been diagnosed with arthriris in her back knees and spondylitis in her upper spine. She is coping on Metacam and I am going to start some Glucosamine supplements. Have been told to cut down her walking.
Is there anything else I can do to stop it progressing?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 07:51 PM
I don't know too much about this but glucosamine and cod liver oil are good. My friend across the road has a SBT and he is on these, plus a diet of cooked meat, veg and potato.

Some say that grains can affect arthritis - I have no personal knowledge of this though.

Poor Goldie, hope she copes okay.
:smt049
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 08:10 PM
My 6 years old boxer mollie was diagnosed with spondylosis in her lower spine and mild hip displaysia about 2 years ago, she is on a supplement called cosequin which contains glucosamine and is on cod liver oil daily..I flat walk her about an hour each day, and keep her weight down, I let her do basically what she wants, she seems to know her limits, we do have the odd day when she gets stiff and sore but not very often.She is not on pain killers as such, just when she needs them.She also has a checkup at the vets every 3 months and up till now her condition has not progressed....The only other things I do is lift her in and out of the car, and bought her a soft bed..
Hope this helps...Pat.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Moli
My 6 years old boxer mollie was diagnosed with spondylosis in her lower spine and mild hip displaysia about 2 years ago, she is on a supplement called cosequin which contains glucosamine and is on cod liver oil daily..I flat walk her about an hour each day, and keep her weight down, I let her do basically what she wants, she seems to know her limits, we do have the odd day when she gets stiff and sore but not very often.She is not on pain killers as such, just when she needs them.She also has a checkup at the vets every 3 months and up till now her condition has not progressed....The only other things I do is lift her in and out of the car, and bought her a soft bed..
Hope this helps...Pat.
Thankyou. Have ordered some synflex for her. Hope it does some good and I may be able to reduce her metacam. She is really miserable after her aneasthetic today. Poor baby!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2005, 09:46 PM
I would be using fish body oil rather than liver oil. It is said that the liver stores toxins, not all of which can be removed in processing. Also, do you have a product there called 'Sasha's Blend'? I have heard of some good results from people who use it: http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/...?group_no=6462
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
I would be using fish body oil rather than liver oil. It is said that the liver stores toxins, not all of which can be removed in processing. Also, do you have a product there called 'Sasha's Blend'? I have heard of some good results from people who use it: http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/...?group_no=6462
Thanks SB, I will get some fish body oil for mollie....
Meg
Supervisor

19-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Hello Miss Potter I am really sorry to hear about your bitch what a terrible shame .. I agree with SB in that cod liver oil is not the best thing and FBO is much better.I think an important thing to remember is to keep the weight down as much as you can, and little things like keeping your girl warm and dry when possible.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

20-05-2005, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by Miss Potter
Is there anything I can do for my 7 year old Goldie. She has just been diagnosed with arthriris in her back knees and spondylitis in her upper spine. She is coping on Metacam and I am going to start some Glucosamine supplements. Have been told to cut down her walking.
Is there anything else I can do to stop it progressing?
Have you tried acupuncture and/or chiropractic? This page describes the process: http://www.holisticvetconsult.com/dysplasia.htm Usually acupunture cannot do any harm but I do not know how severe the condition is in your dog so it would be wise to consult your veterinarian before trying alternative treatments (especially chiropractic) just in case there are contra-indications.

SB
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-05-2005, 05:26 PM
There is another herbal medicine for making arthritis a bit better for them (and us!) to live with.

Devils claw is a natural anti inflamatory with no side effects and can be safely given in addition to medicinal drugs.Available in tablet form from most health shops for around £10.
Topdog
Dogsey Junior