Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Helena sorry to hear about the dogs not being well. When mine has had upset stomachs I have always starved them for 24 hours as Tupac has said and have had no problems I think it gives their tummies time to rest. I would like to point out though that my Gsd breeder told me not to give panacur to them, it was actually written on the fact sheet she gave me. It was something to do with the breeds digestive system, I did find out about it on the net and the same thing was said, panacur not suitable, but I don't remember what sites it was on.
hi,
lots of breeders say this about wormers but in 18years i have not found panacur a problem(yet!) but what i will say is,i think some people say this because if your animal has a large worm burden treating them can make them vommit or be loose,but this is usually the treatment working,i think this is where the connection is often made.of course not all products suit all dogs.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks all, you've been most helpful, and I too was thinking it might be the chicken and rice diet that is making their poo this strange colour, well, I'm hoping it is!

I did starve them, and then I immediately went onto the chicken and rice so that's ok, although the vet wants me to keep them on it for 5 days at least because of them being gsd's with the reknown sensitivity they have in their intestines (Oh I know it so well!).

The strange thing is, Zena has been on that tinned sensitivity food for a week because of her other episode the other night, and she adored this food, and when Georgie showed the first signs of his diarreah (before he kept us up allnight with it!) I decided to give him half a tin of it too, and it's been since THEN that I've had them both like this? When I offered her this same food after the 24 hours when she was very hungry, she ran a mile, wouldn't touch it with a bargepole and nor would Georgie, and that's when I decided to cook up my own. I use the Tesco frozen chicken breasts which I boil, long grain rice (is that the right rice to use?) I am never one to leave food in a tin in the fridge, or leave it out anywhere, the tin just got opened and eaten, that's how I do things, what isn't eaten goes in the bin, so I'm actually wondering whether there is a slight possibility that that particular tin that they shared might have been a bit iffy? It did look darker than all the other tins too, and in hindsight I soooo wish I'd smelled it before giving it to them after opening it! I will never know though will I.

I hope to God it isn't this Giardia because that can live in the soil or in their gut for months/years so that would be a worry, so I'm hoping it's just something they ate together or a bug that they've passed to each other, and the mere fact that they've both got it, cannot mean it's something wrong inside, i.e. liver or something, it would be too much of a coincidence.

Dave says it's where I've walked, all this dog poo about (I did see Georgie treat in a splat of it last week too ), all the hot weather making bugs rife at the moment. Why can't people bl**dy pick it up even though we are in the countryside, especially on the paths we walk through, it's mindless!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I can't edit the above post, but I wanted to add, we do have a wild rabbit that frequents our garden, and the dogs can't wait to get out there and eat their poo, I wonder if it's that??? I have now managed to find the gap at the bottom of one of the fence panels where he's coming in and since then, no sign of him. He goes in all the gardens around here but he's a wild one!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Just wanted to say, although I havn't a clue what the problem could be caused by I really hope they are both better and back to thier old selves very soon.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Sorry can't help but hope they are both better very soon xx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks all, you've been most helpful, and I too was thinking it might be the chicken and rice diet that is making their poo this strange colour, well, I'm hoping it is!

I did starve them, and then I immediately went onto the chicken and rice so that's ok, although the vet wants me to keep them on it for 5 days at least because of them being gsd's with the reknown sensitivity they have in their intestines (Oh I know it so well!).

The strange thing is, Zena has been on that tinned sensitivity food for a week because of her other episode the other night, and she adored this food, and when Georgie showed the first signs of his diarreah (before he kept us up allnight with it!) I decided to give him half a tin of it too, and it's been since THEN that I've had them both like this? When I offered her this same food after the 24 hours when she was very hungry, she ran a mile, wouldn't touch it with a bargepole and nor would Georgie, and that's when I decided to cook up my own. I use the Tesco frozen chicken breasts which I boil, long grain rice (is that the right rice to use?) I am never one to leave food in a tin in the fridge, or leave it out anywhere, the tin just got opened and eaten, that's how I do things, what isn't eaten goes in the bin, so I'm actually wondering whether there is a slight possibility that that particular tin that they shared might have been a bit iffy? It did look darker than all the other tins too, and in hindsight I soooo wish I'd smelled it before giving it to them after opening it! I will never know though will I.

I hope to God it isn't this Giardia because that can live in the soil or in their gut for months/years so that would be a worry, so I'm hoping it's just something they ate together or a bug that they've passed to each other, and the mere fact that they've both got it, cannot mean it's something wrong inside, i.e. liver or something, it would be too much of a coincidence.

Dave says it's where I've walked, all this dog poo about (I did see Georgie treat in a splat of it last week too ), all the hot weather making bugs rife at the moment. Why can't people bl**dy pick it up even though we are in the countryside, especially on the paths we walk through, it's mindless!
i wish people would pick up too
we use rcw sensitivity too,it does make the poo a pale colour!
overcook the rice for them !
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks Bev and werewolf, although they're absolutely fine in themselves, they're not showing any signs of a problem which is another strange thing tbh!

thanks again Tupacs2legs (lol that's a good one!), I remembered reading about that rice, otherwise they can't digest it properly, and I overcook everything in this house so no problems there!

I think, when I can get them back on this kibble things will be a whole lot better, all poo's will be dark and the right colour then! They really are loving this chicken and rice diet, it's gone in seconds, even with those horrible metronidazole which taste foul stuffed in some chicken!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Chicken and rice does turn poo yellow, not sure why. Any change of food will affect the colour.
Tala's on chicken and rice still so welcome to the club
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Hope Zena and Georgie are feeling better soon. Ollie is having the odd days here and there with upset tummy. I do wonder if there is something about all this hot weather and people not picking up their dogs poo's.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2009, 03:11 PM
When Cassie had the bout of gastroenteritis recently, her poo was very yellow Hope they're both better soon Aitchxx
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »